Take it to the next level: what to buy (Canon)

Trebaxus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Dear all,

There is so much out there when it comes to lenses, it is a bit overwhelming to me.

I am an amateur photographer who loves to travel and occasionally makes a nice picture. I do this with my Canon EOS 7D body and a current set of objectives:

- Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 telemacro
- Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8
- Canon EF 24mm f/2.8
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8

As I moved past my period as a student and have a paying job right now, there is a bit more budget. Not unlimited, but if it is worth it I am willing to pay up for some good replacements of my current set.

I am planning to replace the Tamron 70-200 with the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II. During travel I often experience too little time to get my tripod out before taking a (wildlife) picture. I would give away or sell off the old Tamron lense without IS (also the switch between M and AF zoom isn't working that well anymore, so it is up for repair anyway which might not be worth its current value).

I hardly use the 70-300 lense, so I am not going to replace that. I do however would like to add a more all-round landscape/city photography lense to my collection. So that I don't have to change lenses during the day. And I would like to shoot better landscape pictures.

I am thinking of acquiring:

- Canon EF 16-35mm f/4.0 L IS USM for the landscape photography

And am thinking of either the Canon EF 24-70mm F/2.8 L USM or the Canon EF 24-105mm F/4.0 L IS II USM as a standard lense to have on your body during a day in the city/bus.

What is your opinion? Are these wise additions? And isn't the 24-105 range too large to get good quality pictures over the whole range? The EF 24-70 however, doesn't have IS if I am correctly.

If you have got alternatives I would really appreciate your opinion and advice!

Many thanks!

Sure, a 16-35 f/4 with IS is a nice lens, plenty wide for the 7D, and good,modern lens design. I think the 24-105-L was a good lens; apparently it's been upped to a Mark II design? SO, ought to be fine, although "some" people would question the effective focal lengths on APS-C. Still, I dislike a 24-70mm lens...just not enough telephoto at the top end.

HONESTLY though...I think the lenses you have right now would be better on an EOS 6D body...the 24, the 70-200, the 50mm, all would be better on the 6D. The 7D is, to my eye, lacking in image resolving power, being geared toward a lot of noise reduction at the expense of detail. I thinbk the 5D-III and 6D are better "imagers" than the 7D, and I think buying a used 5D-series or a used 6D and keeping your 24,50,and 70-200 would make HUGE sense if you just had the correct body to go with those essential lenses: a full-frame Canon body.

24-105 L was/is THE kit zoom of choice for the 5D/6D....it's got all you need when used on FF. Same with the 16-35, the 24, and the 50, and the 70-200.

Instead of replacing lenses, I think you replace the body, if you want to 'take it to the next level' as your post title states.

Dear all,

There is so much out there when it comes to lenses, it is a bit overwhelming to me.

I am an amateur photographer who loves to travel and occasionally makes a nice picture. I do this with my Canon EOS 7D body and a current set of objectives:

- Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 telemacro
- Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8
- Canon EF 24mm f/2.8
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8

As I moved past my period as a student and have a paying job right now, there is a bit more budget. Not unlimited, but if it is worth it I am willing to pay up for some good replacements of my current set.

I am planning to replace the Tamron 70-200 with the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II. During travel I often experience too little time to get my tripod out before taking a (wildlife) picture. I would give away or sell off the old Tamron lense without IS (also the switch between M and AF zoom isn't working that well anymore, so it is up for repair anyway which might not be worth its current value).

I hardly use the 70-300 lense, so I am not going to replace that. I do however would like to add a more all-round landscape/city photography lense to my collection. So that I don't have to change lenses during the day. And I would like to shoot better landscape pictures.

I am thinking of acquiring:

- Canon EF 16-35mm f/4.0 L IS USM for the landscape photography

And am thinking of either the Canon EF 24-70mm F/2.8 L USM or the Canon EF 24-105mm F/4.0 L IS II USM as a standard lense to have on your body during a day in the city/bus.

What is your opinion? Are these wise additions? And isn't the 24-105 range too large to get good quality pictures over the whole range? The EF 24-70 however, doesn't have IS if I am correctly.

If you have got alternatives I would really appreciate your opinion and advice!

Many thanks!

for $80 the refurbished 50mm 1.8 STM is a "wise" addition as well as the 70-200 2.8
I prefer the Canon 15-85 as a general walk-around on a crop model
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Thanks for your advise!

I am quite happy with my body right now and always find it a bit difficult of turning in something that works fine and I am the first owner of with something second hand.

Beagle100, could you elaborate a bit on how the 50mm 1.8 refurbished stm is a good addition to the 50mm 1.8 I currently have? What is the major difference?

Thanks!

Most reactions

Back