Take the TPF Photo C&C Challenge!

I am somewhat guilty, and tend to only comment within my comfort zone, or within my knowledge/ability.

If it's what I take as a non C&C thread - Just For Fun, Here Kitty, Kitty, etc. and I like a photo (or the subject) I will say so OR I will hit the like button. If I am indifferent ("meh") or I don't like it, I just move on without comment.

For the C&C threads it's a bit more complex.

If I feel I the poster appears to be at a level equal or less than my abilities (a real beginner) then I will usually say what I like about it, then what I don't, then make suggestions on how I would have done it. I want to be honest, but encouraging.

If the poster appears to be at a level above me (most of you) and feel I can really add something useful that hasn't already been said, I will usually do so. I try not to echo what's already been said without adding something. If I feel that any of my comments would not add value, I hit the "back" button.

Since I believe that no-one here walks around with a set of graven stone tablets on his/her shoulders, it's probably safe to say that whatever we utter is our "opinion" whether it is backed up by 120 years of punditry, or 20 minutes of wide-eyed innocence (or ignorance, if you want). Mind you, if you go around making pronouncements in the voice of Morgan Freeman, people would generally tend to listen carefully, so the "packaging" does have an influence. However, since we are in the text medium, we're probably immune to subconscious swaying/influencing by the font or colour (although I do admit the appropriate phrasing can pique my curiosity). So... State opinions, hear opinions, and know that they are only, repeat, only opinions.

You do realise I totally heard that last sentence in the voice of Morgan Freeman ;)

Anyway, my attitude to C&C is that normally I try and leave at least a comment or two when it's asked for. If I have a bit more time I'm happy to offer a bit more detail on my opinion of a shot.

I really do try to just generally PARTICIPATE in other people's threads. I like it when I post something and it doesn't die a horrible death from neglect (kinda like my cool Wooly Aphid thread recently did). When you only get a few comments on something you've posted, it starts to make you hesitate to even bother the next time.

But mostly, heck, I just like attention. :D
So I try to GIVE attention back.
I like it when someone gives me feedback that helps me either improve that specific picture (a recent example was when Lew informed me that a photo I'd posted, that was mostly getting "great job!" kind of comments, was actually terribly off on wb) OR that helps me maybe think about approaching a photo differently the next time.
So I try to give others feedback of the same nature.

Also, just as a little side note:

Everything you read from me should automatically be "heard" in a Morgan Freeman, "on the very authority of God" sort of voice. Because if I have spoken, then VERILY, so it is!!
:cool:

I'm getting a little better with giving feedback. So my reads should be heard as Alan Arkin's character in "The Russians are Coming! The Russians are Coming!" :lol:

So...there's no photo in this thread...Just pointing that out as the irony was not lost on me. :)

BTW, I'm here to learn as much as possible...so I'm in!

I'm getting a little better with giving feedback. So my reads should be heard as Alan Arkin's character in "The Russians are Coming! The Russians are Coming!" :lol:
Everyone to get from street! Everyone to get from street!

What if we made a critique my most recent photo C&C thread where everyone posts latest images to get C&C'ed?

Just a heads up, I'll be saying, "Emily made me tell you that your photo sucks" on anything I don't like.

:biglaugh:

Please do. :laugh2:

What if we made a critique my most recent photo C&C thread where everyone posts latest images to get C&C'ed?

The no one's stuff will get properly CC'd and we're back to the same issue of things getting buried right away.

Plus after 200 pages in a thread, ain't no one wanna go through and dig.

And having separate threads with their own titles helps people decide *what* they want to click on. That's why we have the categories.

OK, I placed your link in my siggy. I even removed my UTM coordinates for it.

e.rose,
Your enthusiasm is refreshing. All your points are valid. I'm new so don't know why activity is down here but I do know that it's tough generating enough interest to keep a site active most anywhere (except fb). That said, I'd like to support you and all of TPF by accepting your challenge.

'rum

Most reactions

New Topics

Back