Taking a photograph like shooting a gun?

dtzitko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
web.me.com
I was in the bathroom just a bit ago and for whatever reason compared firing a rifle to taking a picture. Being a beginner at this photography thing I wonder what you more experienced types do when taking a photo. There's the obvious, making sure the focus is right, composition, etc. But the act of pressing the shutter.

When firing a rifle, I relax, control my breathing, acquire my target, release a breath, squeeze the trigger just after the last bit of air leaves my lungs, and the bullet fires. Do you guys take measures like these when taking photos? I wouldn't expect them to be as pronounced/defined. Just a random thought I had while on the pot.

Discuss.

it is a good thing to do.
years ago , sometime in the 60's i had a telephoto lens that was on a "gunstock" and it was basically the same as firing a rifle

I was in the bathroom just a bit ago and for whatever reason compared firing a rifle to taking a picture. Being a beginner at this photography thing I wonder what you more experienced types do when taking a photo. There's the obvious, making sure the focus is right, composition, etc. But the act of pressing the shutter.

When firing a rifle, I relax, control my breathing, acquire my target, release a breath, squeeze the trigger just after the last bit of air leaves my lungs, and the bullet fires. Do you guys take measures like these when taking photos? I wouldn't expect them to be as pronounced/defined. Just a random thought I had while on the pot.

Discuss.

I used to shoot competitively and that's exactly what I do.

Yes, absolutely.

In photography, it comes down to shutter speed. If you have a fast enough shutter speed, it will freeze the movement of the camera (and maybe movement of the subject), thus giving you a nice crisp photo.
When you are holding the camera, there will be some degree of movement. The rule of thumb for safe shutter speeds while holding the camera, is 1/focal length. So if you are shooting with a 100mm lens, you would want a shutter speed of at least 1/100....and so on. Some say that you must add the crop factor into that equation, so for a typical Canon DSLR, you would want a shutter speed of 1/160 with that 100mm lens.

Remember that this is only a rule of thumb. If you are steady, you should be able to get clean shots at slower shutter speeds. Anything you can do, to steady your body will help. It starts with good posture and technique but it can also be things like leaning against something or sitting, kneeling, laying down etc. And yes, proper breathing does help as well.

Of course, when slower shutter speeds are required (or when optimum quality is desired) the use of a good tripod is the way to go.

*edit*
This is probably why I sometimes find myself out of breath when I'm really 'into' a photo shoot and I'm taking a lot of shots in a short period of time. I don't even realize that I'm controlling my breathing too much.

Discuss.
You should try controlled breathing slightly different. Inhale, exhale, and inhale until you bring your sight up onto the target and pause. Then fire. Complete the inhaling, exhale, and then inhale and pause again midway into your inhale when you find the target again. But too each his own.

Yes, shooting rifles and cameras are very similar and I often employ the same techniques in each.

I know people who, not wanting the meat from a deer/elk/moose, whatever, that "hunt" using this technique.

The thrill is in the hunt, not the kill, as many people believe.

Anyway, a camera mounted on a rifle type stock is used to "hunt" with. When one can track one of these wiley critters, and get a "shot", it's proof that they have the skill's needed to hunt the animal, without the kill.

This is especially popular with people who "hunt" very difficult to track animals, such as mountain lion, etc. The stalk is made, the "shot" is taken, and no one dies, unless it's the hunter. Everyone, including the "prey" goes home happy.

J.:mrgreen:

Sounds like fun.

The stalk is made, the "shot" is taken, and no one dies, unless it's the hunter.

I think I would still pack a .44 to avoid that last part...

Breathing diagrammatically will cut down the movement in your upper body significantly. I breathe like that all the time, as it's integral to playing a wind instrument. Only problem is all that stillness in my upper torso leads to significant tension in my muscles (i.e. nasty pain and back problems).

On the flip side, you don't have to stop breathing. :lol:

at longer exposures i hold my breath and hold my camera sorta like a pistol in the way you press right hand in your left to steady the weapon. but on my camera i press on the back of the grip to where the area just below the lens puts pressure in my left hand and helps me stay steady.

Discuss.
You should try controlled breathing slightly different. Inhale, exhale, and inhale until you bring your sight up onto the target and pause. Then fire. Complete the inhaling, exhale, and then inhale and pause again midway into your inhale when you find the target again. But too each his own.

I like shooting at the bottom of my breath, I have pretty good results too. But yes, I breath a few times before squeezing.

I shoot both... guns and cameras. I'm better with guns, or pistols rather; I'm crap with a rifle.

I've heard about using the same technique, but I never remember too. I'll have to make a more concerted effort to remember it with the cameras.

Yes. I used to shoot target air pistol and target .22 rimfire pistol and breath control and precise trigger control, as well as body mechanics for good shooting are quite applicable to photography. As in shooting, taking advantage of your sling--ie, your camera strap, can further steady the camera. And the same thing applies to using found "rests". Shooting a photograph while standing is a bit less steady than seated. Seated at a table with both elbows planted firmly and the camera pressed firmly into your forehead is steadier than just sitting on a bench or on the floor. Leaning against a pole or wall or door jamb is also steadier than shooting a camera "offhand".

Good body mechanics, practiced breath control, and a smooth,controlled press of the "trigger" all lead to better shooting--with air, with powder, with camera.

I shoot while holding the camera as still as possible. I find the camera has let recoil then my pistol so I can get more bursts off with the camera.
When the shutter speeds drop I use something as a prop or I use a tripod.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back