Taking Fishtank Pictures..

JayJay65

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ive had some real troubles taking pictures of my fish in my 20G Tall fishtank..

I have a few types of fish, some really hard to take pictures of, such as my Threadfin Rainbowfish (below)
P5050029.jpg

MThreadfin.jpg

I really would like any tips.. Its kinda hard to take pictures of them.. once again, my camera is an Olympus FE-190

THANKS!
-Jess

Ive had some real troubles taking pictures of my fish in my 20G Tall fishtank..
I have a few types of fish, some really hard to take pictures of, such as my Threadfin Rainbowfish I really would like any tips.. Its kinda hard to take pictures of them.. once again, my camera is an Olympus FE-190

THANKS!
-Jess

Jess those picture are so small I can't tell what kind of problems you are having. I assume your holding the camera up to the side of the aquarium and just taking a picture with the flash on. If that's what you're doing you will have a problem with glare from the glass. To eliminate the glare you will either need to turn the flash off of msk the lens from the flare. The best way to mask the lens from the glare of the flash will be with thick black paper. Make a small funnel with the black paper. The smaller end should be just big enough to slip over the lens. The larger side should just be large enough to not be in the photo. This will keep the flash from lighting up the glass directly in front of the lens. this still will not be the best way to photogaph aqariums, but it will be an exceptable way to photgraph it with your current camera.

Wow, thanks for the advice, could you give me a small visual please? maybe draw it on paper and then take a picture of it to show me?

And those pictures are small because i took a picture of my tank, and then I cropped out the fish! :) (when I zoomed up, even with optical zoom, the picture got very fuzzy)..

Thanks for the advice

Very fuzzy! I suggest using a different lens...

I'd say turn off the flash.

I did the same thing with my grandma's fish...

331244267_df66eac3a5_o.jpg

Highlights are a little blown and the detail is almost gone (not the best subject for B+W), but you can see the fish.

Most reactions

Back