taking photos of my little cousin but need help

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by vbrandon91, Aug 2, 2008.

1. vbrandon91

vbrandon91 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    well my uncle has asked me if i can take some photos of his baby boy and so now i got me a little model to shoot for a couple of days.

since ive only practiced with outdoor shoots and none inside im gonna need a little bit of help to get some pretty good shots..

im gonna be doing this with a nikon d40 with the 55-200 kit lens ,but i didnt know if i should use the flash or not? i only have the popup flash so im held to that for now.what about lighting?should i bring in some artificial light?the shots will most likely be taken on a bed with some neutral colored cover so what do you think about that?

uhm well i cant think of anything else at the moment so thanks for the help

brandon

2. K_Pugh

K_Pugh No longer a newbie, moving up!

Personally i wouldn't use the flash, like you said the best idea would be to bring in some artificial light, or you could try keeping your cousin near window light. You'll probably need a high ISO, i'm not sure what you can get away with on the D40 before noise becomes too much of an issue (i'd try keep it below 800 though). Aperture priority and keep it wide open, or down a stop..

If you're bringing in more artificial light i'd shoot in RAW mode so you can adjust the white balance later in PP if it's a little off.

my advice may not be perfect but i'm sure it's sorta handy lol

3. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Portraits of children and babies is most excellent....perfect skin! No imperfections to try and hide with soft focus, etc. I agree with all of the above comments and will also add- have you ever tried bouncing your built in flash? I know jack squat about Nikon, and I have never tried bouncing the built in on my 40D upwards, but it is a thought. You could easily make any kind of reflector to reflect light to the ceiling then it'll bounce back to the child. I would give it a whirl!

Derrick

4. vbrandon91

vbrandon91 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    got any more in fo on this bouncing light?

5. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, like my 580EX II Canon flash can be pointed up to bounce the light from the ceiling. This reduces harsh shadows and makes for much better flash portraits IMHO. You should experiment with white posterboard or even aluminum foil under and in front of the flash to get it (the light) up there (the ceiling). May not work, but would be easy enough to try.

6. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Ha! That's a bunch of bologna. I have a 4 year old and I think every photo I have to do work on her skin. I'm constantly cloning out chocolate, spaghetti sauce, pudding, marker, etc etc :D

7. Resin42

Resin42 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Lol, as much as I love taking shots of my 4 yr old nephew there's something very unnerving about having to clone the boogers out of his nose. :confused:

8. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    LOL- I was talking age spots and wrinkles! Not boogies!

Too funny!

Derrick

9. Tolyk

Tolyk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Another solution instead of bouncing the flash would be to go to your local photography store and see if they have Lee Filters. They make sheets of different types of diffusers. Pick one up, cut it to the size of your flash and tape it around. Diffusing that onboard flash will make it slightly more useful.

Edit: Or better yet, anyone that sells Lee filters should have Lee sample packs. It's a little booklet of 1 inch by 3 inch filters that's generally free. They're perfectly sized for off camera flashes, but in the case of on-camera, will still need some cutting.. But.. free :p

10. vbrandon91

vbrandon91 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks guys

well heres a sample photo of what my subject will be..

[​IMG]

11. vbrandon91

vbrandon91 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    any ideas on how to make the above photo "pop"

12. Tolyk

Tolyk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You used the onboard flash directly didn't you?