Taking photos on Kayak

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by jamesino, Jun 22, 2008.

1. jamesino

jamesino TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have a non-waterproof Rebel with a non-waterproof EF 70-200mm f/4L USM and I want to go on my kayak and take pictures while on the water. Are there any apparatuses I can make, ie Ziploc bags, to surround my equipment to prevent against potential water damages?

2. I've never done this... so here's my guess:

the obvious answer is: don't fall in, because nothing can protect against that...

...but otherwise, consider having a very large tupper ware container into which you can simply place everything. Then you can focus on canoing and not worry that every little baggy is sealed, etc.

Otherwise, there are also bags that claim to be water-sealed, meaning they're good against the occasional paddle spray (or rain.)

3. nynfortoo

nynfortoo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There was a small feature in one of my camera magazines recently about bags. One of them was 100% waterproof and tested in a lake (or somesuch). Apparently it floated and the contents were bone-dry.

I'll see if I can dig it out when I get home, though it may have been expensive.

4. djrichie28

djrichie28 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am a kayaker myself, and although I haven't taken my camera on the water, I have taken my cell phone and car keys with remote entry thingies. I use what is called a Dry Bag http://www.seallinegear.com/dry_bags.asp?Category=DryBags They also make cases, but I would suggest use one of these to get you to your shoot and then take your camera out and put it back and reseal the bag when you're done. You should be able to find these are your local paddle or outdoor shop. Quite reasonable too.

5. Antarctican

Antarctican TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ^^^ When I kayak, I use the type of drybag that is shown in the picture at the link djrichie provided. You put the camera in it, roll the top down twice and do up the clip and it's sealed. You put the bag under the bungees at the front of the kayak (or I suppose you could put it in the kayak, under the skirt, but that makes it that more difficult to get to it quickly). When you want to take a shot, stop the kayak, get the camera out and shoot away. I've also kept the camera around my neck and just tucked it under my lifevest as I've paddled, but since the lifevest is supposed to fit snugly that's not a great option. And I'm obviously speaking of calm waters and a dry day...you wouldn't keep the camera out if it's wavy or raining or you're in white water.

If you want more info, you can PM me.

Some people use the pelican hardcases, but they're more fiddly if you want to take pictures while kayaking. They work very well for just transporting the camera when on/around water.

6. nynfortoo

nynfortoo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  7. peterbj7

peterbj7 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The problem is not putting something undesirable in front of the lens. There are several brands of waterproof soft bags available, but one that permits high quality pictures will cost a lot of money. I'd rather use a compact in an underwater housing. A lot easier to handle as well.

Whatever you use you'll need something to dry off the lens port whenever it gets wet, or you'll get poor (distorted) pictures regardless.

I've done this lots of times, and I've always gone the compact/housing route. Drying off the port each time is essential but a PITA! After a while you don't have anything dry enough. A useful tip is to wash the port with baby shampoo, rinse it off briefly, then dry it. Helps to stop the water going into globules (a diver's trick for seeing clearly through a mask).

8. Antarctican

Antarctican TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Just to be clear, when I use my camera (in calm waters) while kayaking, it's out of the waterproof bag and around my neck.

If it's raining, wavy, whitewater etc, then the waterproof housing is probably the way to go. But as the above poster points out, it's pricey.

9. Snyder

Snyder TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I tried the ziplock bags and ceran wrap (spelling?) with my cheap $100 point and shoot camera on a white water rafting trip, well it worked for only half the trip then moisture got into it. After the trip i dried it out and it works just fine to this day. But an DSLR heck no unless I had the underwater housing kit.

10. Antarctican

Antarctican TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ^^^ Never trust a simple ziploc bag to remain waterproof....they easily split at the seams at the top and moisture gets in.

11. gundy74

gundy74 TPF Noob!

12. Try it with your camera, tell us how it goes.