Taking pics at a wedding you're not doing

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by jlykins, Feb 1, 2008.

1. jlykins

jlykins TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I was curious on everyones opinion on this. I have a wedding to go to with my wife, and I was thinking about taking one of my slr's with me and taking some photo's. Does anyone else do this? I don't want to get in the way of the photographer that they hired to do the wedding, but I would like to take some nice shots, and maybe even work on my technique a little.(although I wouldn't tell my wife that) Does anyone see a problem with doing this?

2. Big Bully

Big Bully TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Heck no! My husband and I do that all the time. What better way to practice. And being a bride once, the more pictures you can get of your wedding the better. As long as you don't get in the way of the photographer when he/she is taking photos, try to move the bride and groom into positions when the other photographer is working. You should be just fine.

3. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    As long as you're not in the way, you're fine. I've been to plenty of weddings, and nobody ever complains about me taking pictures, or anyone else taking pictures.

4. jlykins

jlykins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    sounds good. I just wanted to make sure.

5. smcaskil

smcaskil TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    One thing I have seen some of the wedding photographers here put in their contracts is no FLASH photography.

Make sure not to use the flash while the wedding photographer is trying to work and you should be ok.

You also might want to chat with them for a minute, just to let him know that you are there, but no enough to stay out of his way.

Maybe even ask about how he plans on shooting folks, so you can make a point of not being in the way.

Just a couple of thoughts....

6. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It seems like everyone has a camera at weddings these days. No problems with it. Plus as a guest, you probably get photos of your friends and other guests that a hired tog might not get.

7. Rhubarb

Rhubarb TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Exactly.

Just seems like a standard item that you take to a wedding to me. I wouldn't think of going to one without one.

8. chris

chris TPF Noob!

Stay out of the way of the professional and there shouldn’t be any problems – the pro will get upset if you appear over his shoulder, or in front of him, every time he sets up a shot. I concentrate on the guests and just wander around taking candid shots leaving all the ‘official’ shots to the pro, you will also get chances to take the bride, groom etc while they are relaxed and not posing for him.

9. Yeah, don't copy his/her shots. Instead, get candids of the guests.

10. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

When I shoot a wedding I never mind seeing someone walking around with a decent camera. I think if you have a good setup it might be a good idea just to introduce yourself and let them know what you are doing but as long as you stay out of the way I see no problem with it.

11. Silverpenguin

Silverpenguin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was a 'guest taking photos' at my friends wedding last year and ended up getting better shots than the main photographers!! (it was a two woman team)

So I say go for it!!

12. ananas

ananas TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I absolutely do. I have even run into situations where their photographer ended up being horrible so they bought pictures off of me. I don't see anything wrong with doing it at all.