Taking picture of large groups (10-30 people)

Nikon 16-85mm vr is good quality zoom, so I read.
Nikon 18-70mm is good quality zoom, so few posters here can verify.
Nikon 18-200mm is good quality zoom with unbeatable focal range from here to there.
Nikon 18-135mm is sharp zoom lens yet it is cheap.
The humble 18-55 kitlens is good lens, especially the one equipped with the VR.

Anyway, those are only mere tools of convenient btw. In the end of the day - it is the photographer him/her selves as the determining factor.

Happy hunting.

If you can rent lenses as needed and don't shoot large groups very often I'd suggest still doing that and rent a wide angle just for those instances. Then, if you're still looking to purchase another lens, buy one that would be of more use to you overall instead of the wide angle.

Nikon 16-85mm vr is good quality zoom, so I read.

I was also going to suggest this one. I haven't used it, but from my research it is an excellent affordable consumer level 'normal' zoom. And very sharp at all focal lengths.

Not only will its wide end be suitable for your portrait this would make an excellent walk around lens for everyday use.

Check it out!

At 10mm yes, a ton. At 20mm (still plenty wide), very little and that little bit can easily be addressed in post processing. ;)

A good alteriative and a lot faster is the Sigma 18-50 F/2.8. It all depends on:

- lighting
- positioning
- camera/lens combo
- photographer

If you are a strobist fan, you could get that pic with a kit lens easily enough with 4-6 SB-800s well placed. If you are short on lighting, a faster lens is going to be needed.

Hey, doesn't Nikkor still make a manual focus 50mm F/1.2? (lol!!)

PERSONALLY, I never saw the need for more than 3-4 Speedlights. When you get into the 5-6 range its overkill. Atleast with my crowd shooting experience. Shooting concerts, I only use 1 most of the time...sometimes 2.

Ex.
l_d628a9ecfa36084020ec2350ff40fbfb.jpg

When you use that many speedlights youre going to get some harsh boring photo's.

Btw, that photo was taken with the kit lens.

Most reactions

Back