Taking Pictures of Bands

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by cbay, Sep 18, 2005.

1. cbay

cbay TPF Noob!

Hello

I am going to go to a few gigs that friends of mine are in to take pictures but i dont want to use a flash what settings are reccomended to get good detailed pictures that way as might be slightly dark, or best to just use flash with a diffuser?

All Help would be much appreciated...

2. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I assume you 'll be quite close?
    I've taken shots at gigs before and unless I'm within 3-4metres the flash is useless and will make your shots darker!!
    I've taken shots at a Pink Floyd concert and bought the fastest film i could get since I knew the flash would be useless - they came out pretty good.
    I now use digital so I'd adjust my iso quite high. probably 1600.
    UIf you can get a fast lens that'll help too.

3. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I should've added that as you push the ISO higher you'll get more grain in your shots. Sometimes that can look quite cool in band shots but sometimes it's a pain and ruins a shot.
    Could you get friendly with the person controlling the lights? maybe get them to aim at each member of the band with the spotlights so you can get at least a couple of decent shots with light.

4. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like to mix flash photography with available light photography for live music photography. Getting a spot where you can brace against something, or using a monopod can help with low light photography. With a monopod you can also put the camera on self timer, or use a remote, and use the monopod like a boom to get shots above the crowd or from different angles.

If the ceiling of the venue isn't too high I bounce the flash off the ceiling. Something like an 80-20 or an Omnibounce is nice because they kick just a little light straight into the subject.