Taking Pictures of Buildings

Chase said:
It's a rough situation, because all they have to do is catch one person who was trying to do something and then it would be hard for me to say its all a bad idea. What if one of the pilots of one of the 9/11 planes was caught in a similar manner?

I'm not saying I'm for it, but at the same time, its hard for me to be totally against it all. I guess it comes down to a really tough question(and yes I realize it isn't this simple, but I believe it is an interesting question...):

How much freedom are you willing to give up in exchange for more safety and how much safety are you willing to give up in exchange for more freedom?

I really don't know where I stand on that scale... :?

Im all for knowing who is coming into the country and leaving the country. I think it goes to far when a chip is in you or something and they are able to tell where ever you are, when ever you were there.

I read that there are 100+ people that are supposedly in the country that are known to be extremely dangerous. They dont know when they came, when/if they left. I knwo I would feel better if we had their info on hand.

You can understand that in today's climate perhaps someone might raise an eyebrow at people, perhaps of middle eastern descent, taking photos of buildings, particularly a federal building. I am frankly impressed that they were able to put the pieces together that quickly. That does say something about the state of security. I can visualize how it worked:
1. Someone sees the photography in progress, notes license plate, reports to, apparently, the right people.
2. License plate check shows rental car.
3. Rental car check reveals renter with apparent middle eastern name.
4. Name run through master airline passenger database to find out airline, flight, gate.
5. Friendly neighborhood gendarmes await unsuspecting passengers at gate.
Not really rocket science. All it takes is someone who cares to get the ball rolling. This is the way it is supposed to work; I'm just still amazed that it did. I can't believe I am saying this because I have real issues with whether most of the airport security stuff is absurd and useless, though maybe I could highjack a plane with a fingernail clipper, right? And my elderly mother, who can barely walk, COULD just be carrying that nail file to pass to a highjacker on board. At least they let her on with her cane. Sorry, I do understand that TSA has a job to do, and I am very patient with them. It's not their fault that some bozos came up with the lists of prohibited items when one could easily fashion very deadly weapons that would never be detected. OK, back to my cave, now.
Regards,
Raymond

Yeah, I was VERY impressed by how quickly the authorities worked in this case. TSA really had nothing to do with it, in case anyone has that misconception.

How much freedom are you willing to give up in exchange for more safety and how much safety are you willing to give up in exchange for more freedom?

To answer that question, I'll defer to a gentleman much smarter than I-

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

That's crazy. I posted this same topic on another site, and the last response in the thread was the exact same quote from Benjamin Franklin!!!

Here it is:
First off, let me quote someone who is generally accepted to be smarter than I:

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

It doesn't really matter what the majority of people think. We have a Constitution which guarantees us freedom from the Tyranny of the Majority.

For someone to be stopped and detained (essentially arrested) for simply taking photographs is ridiculous.

Dude that sucks. I have never been to an airport, but either way I am paranoid that they're going to make me open every canister of film I have to prove I was or was not smuggling anything :( I've heard stories. I realized I have a fear of getting a body cavity search. I would sue if that ever happened. Anyway :)

I didn't read many of the responses but I am sorry that happened, I believe you, even if it was a lie, I am sure that sort of thing happens because people are a lot more…paranoid (?) about things since you know what n junk.

I know this was said, but PLEASE don't let other people affect you in this forum. I would like to see your work before you disappear from the forum ;)

And as far as I KNOW and have read, that's not why Dew left. I wasn't there but I read the thread.

And I am impressed as well with what they did. I would be scared out of my body because you never know what kind of mess up they will create and what misunderstanding there can be that will get you in trouble for no reason (another fear...wow, they're just climbing out of everywhere)

That just may be me.

photobug said:

To answer that question, I'll defer to a gentleman much smarter than I-

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Gotta agree with that Jim and let's not forget Ben F. and his buddies were willing to fight for it!

Whoa!!! I think Chase said it best. The "line" is a little blurry to say the least. Personally I do not hold police etc in the highest regard. These days I let them do their job. These days when our paths do cross I am generally behaving my self. 10 years ago it was a different story for me. I may have said something like "what is this Nazi Germany". Now I'm rambling. Fact: (?) The cops are just doing their job. If it was a civilian who ratted you out; they are paranoid (it was probably Metroshane). You sent a strong message by proving your innocence :D

Please do stick around. Speaking for myself; I rarely say the right thing but my intentions are good and I love sharing photography :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back