Taking some Pics with my Canon 1000D. C&C would be appreciated!

Mohai

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, first time im posting pics on here. Im quiet nervous of the responses i'l get as i have seen other peoples work and they are really high quality. But i would like some feedback on how to improve post production and exposure while taking pictures, shutter speeds etc.
Thanks

My sister in the park, I can't really get her to pose or anything so this is an action shot of her
IMG_5277.jpg

A wall near my house
IMG_5289.jpg

#2 is actually great. I love how vibrant the colors are and the texture is really rich. The first one is okay, but I'm just not sure it's all that interesting. It between a narrow aperture and a fairly short focal length, it just seems a bit flat. It also seems that it could stand to be a tad brighter (although I know it's exposed correctly).

Just a few thoughts. I do really like number 2.

Hey, thanks for the feedback, i agree with you about the first, i don't really know what or how to fix it...

Well, you can't "fix" it based on the criteria I mentioned. Well, maybe you could with some unbelievably tedious editing, although probably not convincingly.

You might try introducing some drama to the photograph by slightly increasing the contrast and saturation. It works for some photographs, not for others. It's worth a shot.

Well, you can't "fix" it based on the criteria I mentioned. Well, maybe you could with some unbelievably tedious editing, although probably not convincingly.

You might try introducing some drama to the photograph by slightly increasing the contrast and saturation. It works for some photographs, not for others. It's worth a shot.

Okay thanks

Anyone else is free to edit or change to make them look better xD

Keep posting the pictures without worry. CC is the best way to improve.

1- I'm not liking the composition. Typically when you having someone facing in one direction, its accross the frame and not right to the edge. I like her expression, but I think I'd like the overall picture more if she were to the right side of the frame.

The right side as is (weird park thingy) doesn't add much but an eye distraction due to the intense orange colour. My eye is draw to that, making your system the lesser part of the picture.
Trying moving in closer / zooming in on her to help isolate her in the image.

2- I'm liking the colour vibrancy of the bricks. Nice job. However, the grey spot top right and greenish greyes spots bottom left are not very eye appealing. Maybe crop those out or move to a different section of the wall. Might just be me though.

Thanks, i now know to take in composition a lot more, especially where eyes would be drawn to etc.
The first picture i did take it as a "point and shoot" kind of thing,

I would have thought that green mould thing and stuff on the bricks adds to that horrible but nice effect of the whole wall, but yeah i suppose different opinions :)

I'm liking the colour vibrancy of the bricks. Nice job. However, the grey spot top right and greenish greyes spots bottom left are not very eye appealing. Maybe crop those out or move to a different section of the wall. Might just be me though.

I would have thought that green mould thing and stuff on the bricks adds to that horrible but nice effect of the whole wall, but yeah i suppose different opinions :)

Bigtwinky, although depending on the purpose of the photograph, I agree with your sentiments on number one, I strongly disagree with number two. There isn't much less interesting than a brick wall. Part of what makes this an interesting image to look at is the range in colors and textures. There's nothing specific for our eyes to lock onto, we're forced to explore the variations in the photograph. Artistically, I think those things make this image. Without them, it'd just be a picture of a wall.

Of course, to each his own.

I didn't dare touch that wall though =P

I didn't dare touch that wall though =P

LOL, I don't blame you.

bpetruzzo, you are right about the wall though. Nothing much more interesting in a wall that doesn't have anything interesting at all. I guess its like they say for stars...negative attention is still attention!! So just because there is a moldy coloured thing there doesn't mean its bad.

I'm just not a fan of walls closeup, and I still feel there is a good amount of texture and colour changes without the moldy thing.

But hey, I ain't no pro and its just an opinion :lmao:

LOL, I don't blame you.

bpetruzzo, you are right about the wall though. Nothing much more interesting in a wall that doesn't have anything interesting at all. I guess its like they say for stars...negative attention is still attention!! So just because there is a moldy coloured thing there doesn't mean its bad.

I'm just not a fan of walls closeup, and I still feel there is a good amount of texture and colour changes without the moldy thing.

But hey, I ain't no pro and its just an opinion :lmao:
Tomorrow i might just go take a macro shot of mold only for you! xD

For the first image, I think the main distraction is actually the houses in the background. The playground equipment itself could provide a really good prop for the image if used a little differently. If you look at the lower right quadrant, you have the equipment itself, plus a very plain piece of tarmac. Now if you could frame round that and get your sister peering through from behind, you'd probably end up with something compositionally stronger than you have at the moment. Perhaps treat it as a game with her and get her to play hide and seek or something round it, then blat away on continuous whilst she's moving.

The second is overprocessed or something, looks kinda bad.

As for the first one, I think it's slightly underexposed, its not entirely sharp, the composition needs work, I don't like her pose, and I don't really like the setting.

For the first image, I think the main distraction is actually the houses in the background. The playground equipment itself could provide a really good prop for the image if used a little differently. If you look at the lower right quadrant, you have the equipment itself, plus a very plain piece of tarmac. Now if you could frame round that and get your sister peering through from behind, you'd probably end up with something compositionally stronger than you have at the moment. Perhaps treat it as a game with her and get her to play hide and seek or something round it, then blat away on continuous whilst she's moving.
Thanks, thats some good advice for compositions xD

Most reactions

Back