taking street photography photos w/ 35mm lens makes subjects mad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just so you know: this type of street photography requires courage, practice, people skills, judgement, fearlessness, thick skin, and so on. There are some ways to minimize the camera and the picture-shooting process, which you can find in some older articles (NOT videos on-line!) written by people who really have honed their craft on the street.

How the camera is carried is a big issue: wrap the strap around your right hand, and carry it as you walk, wrapped tightly so the hand and camera are ONE unit, raise the camera and hand, shoot, and drop the camera and hand, and continue walking. This is very different from "wearing the camera" on a strap, and looking for people to shoot. You're walking along as opposed to out there stand-hunting for people.

I won't confront you or upset but just to let you know that I prefer that you don't take my picture.

Not knocking street photography but I've lived by this all my life - "Your rights end at the exact point that mine begin" . If any one where to invade my personal space on the street, they're likely to meet with resistance. Given today's climate of terrorism, if that invasion includes pointing something at me, that resistance most likely would become physical. As many states including ours have stand your ground laws, it could also get you shot.

Seeing that it is illegal to 'publish' photos here in germany without the persons' consent, I've not been able to take street shots showing peoples faces. I prefer the birds and bees.

Last edited:
Not knocking street photography but I've lived by this all my life - "Your rights end at the exact point that mine begin" . If any one where to invade my personal space on the street, they're likely to meet with resistance. Given today's climate of terrorism, if that invasion includes pointing something at me, that resistance most likely would become physical. As many states including ours have stand your ground laws, it could also get you shot.
I agree. It's about respect. If I want to get 4 ft. From someone, I ask them. I have to out of respect. I have been turned down but they always thanked me for asking. I work a 8-10 ft zone currently and trust me, not a lot of opportunity. Street photography is hard work and requires a high level of skill. IMO, it is the hardest type of photography. Look at the masters, and try to present something different, extremely difficult.

Just because you believe you have the right to not be photographed in public, doesn't make it true.

completely understand what you're saying about it being the action in that close space, Derrel.

i'm going to continue to consume this genre and tread softer as i figure it out with my own camera. the golden rule often fails me, and i feel a little silly for having let a blog convince me this surprise method was not disrespectful. eric kim does have some great photos. last night i watched a video of him creating them, and he's being lightweight wrong to his fellow human beings in the process.

still strongly believe the primary offense was taking the photo. while further away may reduce conflict, that's utilizing both figurative and literal barriers. and "not interacting" sounds a lot like not getting caught. which i'm not knocking. done it before, will do it again. but i think many or most people do want to be photographed without permission, period. i'll now work to convince myself otherwise.

thanks the the encouragement, jcdeboever. if you're saying you take no permission photos from 8 - 10 feet away, i'm very interested to hear about your strategy and what reactions you get. and to see the results!

If I had interacted with this scene, it would have been different. I'm glad I had no interaction with the woman, whatsoever. I like it the way it is*. If I got within 2 feet of the person, the reflection in the window wouldn't be there, she wouldn't be "dancing", and the image wouldn't be the same.

Dancing Reflections
by Wade, on Flickr

*I'm still working on how I'd like to process it, and I took it in November, haha.

If I had interacted with this scene, it would have been different. I'm glad I had no interaction with the woman, whatsoever. I like it the way it is*. If I got within 2 feet of the person, the reflection in the window wouldn't be there, she wouldn't be "dancing", and the image wouldn't be the same.

Dancing Reflections
by Wade, on Flickr

*I'm still working on how I'd like to process it, and I took it in November, haha.

that's a great shot and i certainly agree capturing it discreetly was best. while anecdotal if being used to support one style over another, well taken opportunity to share a worthwhile photo.

while anecdotal if being used to support one style over another, well taken opportunity to share a worthwhile photo.
For my style, yes, I'd rather be a part of the scenery.

If you prefer surprise portraits, then my style is not for you.

Good luck with your adventures.

I've been shooting Street since the 1970's. Street shooting have evolved with the introduction of digital cameras and the proliferation of cameras. But my Street Shooting technique has stayed the same.

We all see differently and we all shoot differently. I really don't judge one's technique. What you do is what you do. I have developed a sixth sense over the years, of who and what and how and when to capture a Street image. For what it is worth, this is what I do:

1) I shoot with respect for the Street people. They are working, playing, shopping, et cetera and I am the intruder into their world. I respect them and I hope for equal respect in return;

2) I don't believe in sneaking, hiding a camera, shooting from the hip. Typically, I shoot with two cameras and a camera bag hanging off a shoulder;

3) I dress and act as if I am working, (as I take my photography seriously, I do feel that I am working). I wear a sleeved and collared shirt, long pant and closed toe shoes. No T's, no T's with writing or pictures on them, no shorts and no sandals. I used to be a news photog and I act and dress as if on assignment.

4) I walk and shoot, walk and shoot. One camera will have a long lens, around 200mm and the other camera a wide lens around 20mm-28mm;

5) Every shot is situational and every shot is sized up individually and shot individually. Sometimes I go for eye contact and other times not. Sometimes I hang back and shoot long and other times I move in tight and shoot wide;

6) Most importantly, I try to blend into the Street. I am working, no different than the Street people, we're both working. I try to be no different than a mailbox, or a street light or a doorway. Blending into, becoming a part of the Street is as much mental as it is physical;

7) I rarely speak to anyone and I have never asked permission to photograph anyone. For me, once you speak, typically/often you change the look and feel of what you wanted to capture; and

Some stuff from the 70's:

On-Broadway-3-UE.jpg

18%20St.%20Peewees%20-%20W.jpg

On%20Broadway-9%20-%20W.jpg

On-Broadway-4-UE.jpg

Last edited:
Just because you believe you have the right to not be photographed in public, doesn't make it true.

Didn't mention photography. I said if you invade my personal space and point anything at me. I would react defensively, and ask questions later.

Didn't mention photography. I said if you invade my personal space and point anything at me. I would react defensively, and ask questions later.
I was assuming it was implied considering the context of your response, but ok...

Just because you believe you have the right to personal space and not having anything pointed at you in public, doesn't make it true.

very much appreciate the rundown of your technique and preview of your style, gary. #1 is a remarkable shot.

edit: "remarkable" feels light. #1 is straight up inspiring and i hope to incorporate elements of the style into my own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back