I'm not done processing them all yet, but here are a few so far. 1-
IMG_9912.jpg
2-
IMG_9879.jpg
3-
IMG_0024.jpg
4-
IMG_0076.jpg

#1 - not much going on in this picture except a reflection of someone looking down with her eyes closed.

#2 - tilting can be fun and creative, but too much on this one. What does this guy shooting pool have to do with the wedding?

#3 - image is soft and the focus is on the grooms back?

#4 - best of the bunch. Try framing the shot differently next time. From a lower perspective. Couple is "too centered".

I'd suggest getting a graduated ND filter for outdoors shots.
It's getting more and more priority on my "things to get" list.

Right behind....

"Get a job". (for me not you)

The window is too much for the first one.

The pool shot is nice, but I would like to have seen the reflection in focus. Be nice to see the eyes, not the back of his head.

The Bride should have been in focus on #3, she's the focus, but seriously OOF.

The sky is really overwhelming in the last one.

Maybe layer it and tone it done a bit in PS.

Last edited:
I'd be careful with the exposure on bright skies like in the last shot.

Keep at it though, I admire that you get out and keep trying.

Good on you for giving it a go! We can't progress if we don't try, right?

My comments are similar to others

1- with the direction she is looking, you should of had her on the right side of the image, not the left. This kinda emphasises the window, which is the dominant theme. Nice idea with the picture, but maybe a closer zoom on the mirror and wait until she is looking at herself

2- a bit too tilted for my taste. I guess this is the groom chilling before the wedding?

3- she should of been in focus. he has a nice head, but not sure it should be the focal point of the image. Maybe a closer zoom in again on her to fill the frame more with her face

4- nice shot and nice exposure considering the brightness of the sky! I find the sky is still too bright and dominating, my eye was drawn to it off the bat when i first looked at the image. I don't mind them being centered, but I find a bit too much dead space over their heads. She also seems to be slightly OOF, slow shutter? Some DOF might be fun here. And try and get in a more symetrical position with the walk way so the image doesn't look too lopsided.

Keep it up!

I thought 2 was cool, though I didn't get how it fit in with the wedding either... I'm sure it does, it's just not obvious to an outside observer.

I agree with the other comments made.

Thanks for the comments.

The bride was actually brushing her teeth in the first one ;) She was majorly rushing to get ready and I really wanted a shot in that bathroom with the little mirror. For me, her looking down gives a sense of anticipation or nervousness.

The second one....the groom was waiting for the ceremony and was in a holding room in the basement with an old school bar and pool table.

Third one...yeah, you're right.

Forth one, I did the lighting on purpose. I liked the idea of the sun shining through them. I added some intensity to the light and some extra lens flare. Too much?

Too much in #4. It's a nice idea, but on the too strong side. The B&G should be the attraction, not the sky.

Lot's of good shots. Just need some tweaking. If you keep this up, you will do wonderful.

the only thing i can say is on #4 due the extreme angle of the sun i think i would have focused on maybe a lower angle using their shadows elongated in front of them.... i would have f'd it up but i would have tried :)

is that a secondary photographer as well? looks kinda weird getting another photographer in the shot.

looks like a family friend with a camera just snapping away. there is someone else to his left also with a camera.

Yeah, it was a friend who got a 5D on sale during the Circuit City going out of business sale :lol: He proceeded to tell me after the wedding, "Man, you were in all of my shots!" Sorry, dude. I'm the one here to get the shots, not you. The guy has a fancy camera and doesn't know anything but auto. Shame shame.

Yeah, it was a friend who got a 5D on sale during the Circuit City going out of business sale :lol: He proceeded to tell me after the wedding, "Man, you were in all of my shots!" Sorry, dude. I'm the one here to get the shots, not you. The guy has a fancy camera and doesn't know anything but auto. Shame shame.

Don't worry, next week he'll be on this forum telling everyone that he's going to be a wedding photographer. :lol:

Don't worry, next week he'll be on this forum telling everyone that he's going to be a wedding photographer. :lol:

EVERY wedding I have ever shot has what I call "Uncle Joe". He has just picked up a camera at Costco, came with a telephoto and a kit lens, follows me around telling me about his great camera. Sometimes he'll go so far as to ask the bride and groom to wait before moving on to my next pose so that he can get a shot. I hate that SOOO bad.

I personally enjoy the last one, the brightness of the shot, and the sun flare make it kind of a fairytale style pic!

EVERY wedding I have ever shot has what I call "Uncle Joe". He has just picked up a camera at Costco, came with a telephoto and a kit lens, follows me around telling me about his great camera. Sometimes he'll go so far as to ask the bride and groom to wait before moving on to my next pose so that he can get a shot. I hate that SOOO bad.

I personally enjoy the last one, the brightness of the shot, and the sun flare make it kind of a fairytale style pic!

What I would do to those people is walk up to them, and kindly ask them to let you do your job. Then after you get your shots, you'll hold them in the position so they can take their quick shot. Usually works pretty well.

I'd suggest getting a graduated ND filter for outdoors shots.

That would not help in any of these shots. If you placed a ND grad filter on the sky in number 4, you would also dramatically darken the tops of the trees, which would look really unnatural. Moreover, with so much going on during a wedding, you would not have much time to precisely position your ND grad filter.

Most reactions

Back