TAKING THE PLUNGE!

Taking a poll for final lens purchase question for a Nikon D7000. I'm basically looking for this lens to be a walk around lens, good in low light, sharp and good contrast, with potential macro/slight wide angle capabilities. I've researched and read reviews on all and they were all good so, just wondering what TPF thought? If this post bothers anyone because I've asked several questions, just pass on over it. Thanks. :D

1. Sigma DC Aspherical Macro IF 17-70mm F/2.8-4.5 Lens For N... $439, new

2. Sigma EX DC Aspherical Macro IF 18-50mm F/2.8 Lens $429 new

3. Sigma Macro 17-70mm F/2.8-4 HSM DC OS Lens For Nikon $419, new

5. Sigma EX DF Aspherical 28-70mm F/2.8 Lens For Nikon, $330 used

i have the Tamron 17-50 2.8 - it is AWESOME

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and 28-75 f2.8 and they are both great lenses at a pretty good price. I find the 17-50mm range to be a little more useful to me, so for your list of lenses i would have to say the 18-50 f2.8 would be the best choice. I would personally get the lens in a fixed f2.8 aperture no matter which focal range you choose. you will be happier for it in the long run. honestly, in the f2.8 range, neither of the focal ranges there are a "bad" choice. Pick which one you think you might use a little bit more, buy it, and save up for the other one and have both. =)

Don't get the Tokina. It's good but it's not as well respected for image quality especially wide open, unlike it's older model that was f/2.6-2.8 and was based on a French design that has spectacular optics

Have you considered the Nikon 35-70 2.8? It has a macro feature and you can pick it up used for around $300.

If you upgrade later, you will be able to sell it for $300. All of the options you listed are going to lose half their value as soon as you take it out of the package. 3rd party lenses don't do to well on the used market.

Have you considered the Nikon 35-70 2.8? It has a macro feature and you can pick it up used for around $300.

If you upgrade later, you will be able to sell it for $300. All of the options you listed are going to lose half their value as soon as you take it out of the package. 3rd party lenses don't do to well on the used market.

meh, I think some third party lenses do better than others for resale. but its true enough. It also means however, that you can get some really good deals on third party lenses if you buy them used. you just have to do a little more hunting, and be a little more careful.

Wow, thanks guysI I want to respond to each of you. I am going to check out the Tamron's as well as, kerbouchard the Nikkor as recommended. I selected those 6 as finals because I know they all have macro capability as well as low light/fixed apertures. They vary slightly in terms of maxiumum and minimum focal length, as you know. Knowing that going awith a few of them would be a good choice is reassurring. I've got kids to put through school so "pissing" away 400-500$, although I have credit, is hard for a mom to do without knowing that it is at least for a product I'm confident in and that I'm hoping I won't have to re-sell if I don't like and lose money on. I'm thinking of eventually picking up a prime wide angle, but that will be later on. I rarely need a wide angle. How is the "bokeh/DOF" in these lenses?

...not sure where in NY you are,but if your in the central NY area (Syracuse),try Ra-Lins........very friendly...you can play with glass in store,or you can rent on very good terms...they consider fri-sun 1 day.As far as a nearest camera store being 40 min. away...that wouldn't even enter my mind if i was spending $4-500...i do that everyday 1 way to go to work.........

After about 4 months of taking part in these forums, I've come to a conclusion. Most of you frickin idiots cant spell for the life of you. And second, most of you are just a bunch of ass holes.

Hahahah, us frickin idiots who cant spell for the 'life of us' maybe don't like dealing with crybabys such as yourself? :(

After about 4 months of taking part in these forums, I've come to a conclusion. Most of you frickin idiots cant spell for the life of you. And second, most of you are just a bunch of ass holes.

Hahahah, us frickin idiots who cant spell for the 'life of us' maybe don't like dealing with crybabys such as yourself? :(

What's up with APHphoto?? Got too hot in the kitchen?? - Did I spell anything incorrect???

Have you considered the Nikon 35-70 2.8? It has a macro feature and you can pick it up used for around $300.If you upgrade later, you will be able to sell it for $300. All of the options you listed are going to lose half their value as soon as you take it out of the package. 3rd party lenses don't do to well on the used market.
35-70 is useless on dx as a midrange zoom, ur going from normal to mild tele. Might as well get a prime.It's true they will loose their value, so buy used!!! It's a third party dx lens, get one from keh, u even get a 6mnth warranty.

Wow, thanks guysI I want to respond to each of you. I am going to check out the Tamron's as well as, kerbouchard the Nikkor as recommended. I selected those 6 as finals because I know they all have macro capability as well as low light/fixed apertures. They vary slightly in terms of maxiumum and minimum focal length, as you know. Knowing that going awith a few of them would be a good choice is reassurring. I've got kids to put through school so "pissing" away 400-500$, although I have credit, is hard for a mom to do without knowing that it is at least for a product I'm confident in and that I'm hoping I won't have to re-sell if I don't like and lose money on. I'm thinking of eventually picking up a prime wide angle, but that will be later on. I rarely need a wide angle. How is the "bokeh/DOF" in these lenses?
There are no wide angle primes for dx, or atleast they are not worth it for dx. Only zooms currently, but they are worth it.

Most reactions

Back