Taking the plunge

I got my stuff! It came yesterday while I was at work. I only had time to open the package and make sure it was all there. I can't wait. There's still more I need to buy. I only have an enlarger and lenses, a safe light, and a timer. I'm going to buy a book I think. Any recommendations?

Henry Horenstein's

Black and White Photography
Beyond Basic Photography

Best books for beginners (and not-so-beginners, IMHO)

Thanks Matt. Do those books describe darkroom processes, and list all the equipment necessary?

I know nothing, literally :p

They pretty much cover everything you need to know. After you've read Henry Horenstein try out Ansel Adams.

The Camera
The Negative
The Print

These three books were written a long time ago (although constantly updated), and there have been some very good books and and photogs since Adams' heyday, but they are still sort of a holy bible for the BW photographer/darkroom.

Matt, I am jealous - i have been looking at getting an enlarger here for the last couple of weeks (even ksmatt's been helpin' me from abroad). *sigh* keep us up to date with darkroom experiences - I can't wait til i get to go 'analog' myself!

Will do Vonnagy. I'm pretty excited myself. I still have some more things to do, as well as some slight construction in the basement to get everything ready. I have an old shower in my basement that's not being used, and I'm trying to find a way to use it. It's already pretty light tight.

After I get those books I'll be on my way.

Digital Matt said:
Will do Vonnagy. I'm pretty excited myself. I still have some more things to do, as well as some slight construction in the basement to get everything ready. I have an old shower in my basement that's not being used, and I'm trying to find a way to use it. It's already pretty light tight.

After I get those books I'll be on my way.

Keep the shower, install a toilet, drag in your bed and just move in. You won't want to come out much after you get the rest of your stuff set up, so you may as well make it convenient. We'll toss down some food occasionally. :wink:

terri said:
Keep the shower, install a toilet, drag in your bed and just move in. You won't want to come out much after you get the rest of your stuff set up, so you may as well make it convenient. We'll toss down some food occasionally. :wink:

Haha, you know me too well already. :p

I already spend every available moment either behind the viewfinder or in front of the computer.

Most reactions

Back