Taking the step to advertise...

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Paul M, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Paul M

Paul M TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have been working on a site and before I go any further, I am wondering if you can check it out and let me know if I'm on the right track. (The gallery will eventually have sections for nature, wildlife, portraits, etc. as it grows).

Most sites use flash and although it's a nice feature, it's also difficult to code if you aren't used to it. I already have a domain and low budget for a site. I know HTML and can do this one myself. I didn't want it too busy, and I want it simple enough for the NON-computer savvy person to be able to navigate.

If you can please answer these few questions and make any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
    1) Does it look "professional"?
    2) Does it load quickly?
    3) Can you think of anything I should add or delete? (other than the unfinished ABOUT ME and PRICE LIST)
    4) Any other suggestions

Thanks in advance! :confused:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  2. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm probably not the best person to give a website review, but if you want to know what joe sixpack would think - I can do that! ;)

1) I haven't really looked at very many pro photographer's websites, so I googled "professional photographer" to see what they're 'supposed' to look like. I would put your's in the average to above average range.

2) Loaded pretty damn fast for me.

3) Not sure if you were planning on putting this in the "about me" section or not... Get your address and some contact information on there. I don't even know what state you're in.

4) I don't like how the gallery is set up. First - it forces my browser (firefox) out of a maximized window, it annoys me when websites do that. Second - The whole mouse wheel picture scrolling thing threw me off a little. If you want to leave it that way (mouse wheel scrolls through pictures) at least say at the top of the page that scrolling the mouse wheel will move on the the next picture, or something to that effect. At first I didn't know what was going on, but once I figured it out it was just annoying.

Another thing about the gallery - when the picture is loading it starts out as a large version, then finishes as a slightly smaller one; I found that just a little annoying.

Sorry if that's a lot of negative stuff, but I assume that's what you're looking for (what needs fixing). Get the gallery straightened out and I'd say it's not too bad.

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Okay, first off the fact that you didn't use Flash means that it's automatically going to get my vote, no matter what; that aside, I agree with most of the comments above. I'm not a big fan of this particular Jalbum skin either; I use the vertical mouseover skin, and have had favorable comments on it. The one negative thing I have to say is that the quality of the images themselves seems very rough; they very pixellated, as if they were being enlarged from thumbnails; you did include the originals when you created the albums didn't you?

Overall, I think it's a good 'site; very similar in fact to mine.

4. Paul M

Paul M TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks! :)

I was thinking of leaving it to email only but I guess I did forget to put at least city and state. I figured if someone was viewing the site, they would email me before taking the time to call etc. To start a dialog first. I do not have a brick and mortar studio and will be limiting myself to various locations only (to start).

I use IE and didn't look at the "Mozilla" version until you mentioned it. I see what you mean. The selected gallery actually has a slide-show by using the arrow at the top right, and if you left click on the pictures right side, it goes forward in the gallery and on the left side of the picture, it goes backward in the gallery. I will look to see what other templates they have though. I wanted to get something up there to start, I will most definitely be switching to smugmug or something that not only has a purchase section, but also can accommodate the printing and shipping.

After reading your description about this, and I checked it out, I agree this is a pain and will be addressed.

Don't be sorry, this is exactly what I need to know and I asked for it. I appreciate your honesty and clear and concise description about where this needs attention. :thumbup:

Actually, after seeing that "if your pictures are online, they can be taken", I implemented a rule from Scott Kelby's book. His guidance suggested "If you want to protect your on-line pictures, make them low quality so they can only print a great 5x7 but will not get a good 8x10". Thats basically the idea I got when he said the maximum resolution should be 600px on the longest side. I will (and intended to) put a little bit higher resolution pictures in the gallery anyways but not too high. This is the best time to do it as I will be selecting another gallery anyways.

Well, unfortunately I haven't seen yours yet (but I will after finishing this post), but if thats true, then we must be pretty good if we think alike huh? :lol:

Thanks again for the input and I will post in here again upon my "fix" to these issues. PLEASE, keep the C&C coming!

5. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Does it look "professional"? not yet, but you are getting there
    Does it load quickly? Yes except for the Gallery

Can you think of anything I should add or delete? See notes below
    Any other suggestions See Notes

Ok, here are a few points.

1) The images on the left and right on your main page are slightly larger than the center one. They align at the top but not at the bottom. You need to have more uniformity as well, all with borders or all without and remove your small watermark from them, it is to small to read and just distracts from the pictures.

2) Turn off the right click copyright thing it is annoying and the image on your site are so small they can’t be printed so don’t worry about it. You will almost never see that on a pro site. As well remove Photographs may not be copied, printed, duplicated, or distributed without consent of the author. The simple copyright notice below is fine. (Just a note with the right click and notice you are treating all of you potential customers like they are going to steal from you, not a good first impression)

3) Your gallery does not work for me at all, just a blank white box. Using non-standard viewers will make it so some people can’t view your images.

4) Get your font figured out I see 5 different types on your main page, use 3 at the most (Logo should be all one type, links one type and footer as one type)

5) Loose all the crazy page transitions and hit counter, is this still 1994?

6) I would reconsider putting you calendar online. If you are not busy people might ask why and if they see you are booked, they will not call at all. You want them to call even if you are booked, if you make a good first impression they may tell others. As well it tells people when you are not home.

7) On the Contact page your verification image does not show up.

6. Paul M

Paul M TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Speedtrap,
    I thank you for your feedback. I am working on fixing some of the issues you pointed out. I would like to ask you what browser you are using that you couldn't see the gallery. I am changing it again but I checked it in IE and Mozilla and it was working in both. The copyright in the pictures are going to stay because I add that as I finish my pp work. I did remove the right click protection as well as correcting the font issues. The hit counter was supposed to be hidden and that is fixed. I liked the idea of the calendar but you brought up a good point so thats going to be omitted. Thanks for all the suggestions.

7. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Much Cleaner. Starting to look good

8. Aggressor

Aggressor TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    From a usability point of view, as a general rule try to stay away from blue text, particularly light blue. On display fonts where the text is large it's not so bad, but not for body text and, in your case, navigation.

One reason for this is for people that are colorblind, they cannot see it. The other reason (I think--it's been a while since I studied usability) has something to do with the 'depth' at which the color is perceived to be at.

Here's a source you may want to read:
    "The use of light blue and gray colors, regardless of background, degrades usability and increases eye strain for many colorblind viewers" from http://www.technewsworld.com/story/56106.html