Taking Wedding Photo Tips

sarasphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am taking wedding pictures next month, indoor at a church. I will be using a sb600 flash. I also need tips on how to "stay out of the way" but still get pics of everything going on!! Any tips appreciated!!!:hug::

From your other thread:
I just purchased my first DSLR, nikon d3000 with 18-55mm VR lens and 55-200mm VR lens, sb600 flash. I need tips!

here is my website address: Saras Photography

take a look and let me know what you think on some of the pics posted.

I am having the most trouble understanding ISO/Aperture/Shutter Speed. I also am trying to learn my flash, nikon sb600.

I appreciate any help!! Thanks!

I am taking wedding pictures next month, indoor at a church. I will be using a sb600 flash. I also need tips on how to "stay out of the way" but still get pics of everything going on!! Any tips appreciated!!!:hug::

My advice is to get a good attorney on retainer.

From your other thread:
I just purchased my first DSLR, nikon d3000 with 18-55mm VR lens and 55-200mm VR lens, sb600 flash. I need tips!

here is my website address: Saras Photography

take a look and let me know what you think on some of the pics posted.

I am having the most trouble understanding ISO/Aperture/Shutter Speed. I also am trying to learn my flash, nikon sb600.

I appreciate any help!! Thanks!

My advice is to get a good attorney on retainer.

:lol:

$120 for a wedding.... :raisedbrow: Seriously?? I've shot second a few times for a photographer who's bare bones package is more than ten times that amount. I wouldn't even answer the phone for 120 bucks.

The best advice anyone on here can give you is to politely decline the wedding. Weddings are a time when having a very solid understanding of shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and flash usage still aren't enough to get you through the day. It takes so much more that that. So based on the fact that you don't even have those things down, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to do a good job shooting a wedding.

Spend time learning photography, get more experience, find a shooter that you can assist or shoot second for, and then reconsider getting into weddings. And when you do, please actually charge money for them. You may be thinking "I'm not that good, or very experienced, and I'll only charge $120, and hey $120 is decent money for a few hours of work", but it is hilariously low, and charging those kinds of prices does very very bad things to the industry. When someone is advanced enough to be ready to start trying out weddings, they should be good enough to be worth at least $750-$1250, and even that is still low. And they should only charge that amount knowing that it is because they lack experience and do not yet have the ability to deliver high quality images that they should have before moving up to something near the market average. It shouldn't be their permanent prices mean to undercut the market and steal business just because they are so cheap.

I stand by the advice I gave you in my first post.

You are not ready to shoot a wedding. It's that simple.

If you choose to ignore that and do it anyway, it's quite possible that you will get sued, and you will need a good attorney.

Since you know ahead of time that you're going to need a good attorney (since you are going to ignore the advice everyone is going to give you in this thread), you might as well go ahead and get one on retainer.

I stopped by your web site in relation to your other post seeking advice on how to operate your Nikon D5000 and SB 600 flash...now that I see you asking how to (indirectly) use said gear to shoot a wedding, get all the needed shots, and to stay out of the way...oh....man...I can hardly face yet another person who barely knows how to work her camera and yet is planning on shooting somebody's wedding AND who apparently has trouble with her Nikon D5000. Please, learn how to handle and operate the D5000 first, and then give yourself a year of shooting before accepting money and being a primary shooter at any important event that is not repeatable.

$120 will barely cover an hour of attorney's fee.

looked at ur site. from what I see you need a lot more experience if you want to eventually take wedding photography. It takes years to develop a good eye. Continue to shoot and you'll get better day by day! Practice, practice, practice!...

I've been using my gear for a few years, and did film prior to that. I get compliments from friends, etc. on some of my shots. I've had good friends ask me about doing their weddings, and there is NO WAY in hell I would do one, not even for a friends. I wouldn't take the risk of screwing that up, not even for a favor for someone. That's why the pro's are paid good money for it. It's their job, and they know what they are doing when it comes to weddings. If you take on that job, you are just looking for trouble, especially after reading your other posts and knowing how new you and your camera are.

I know I will take wedding photos fine. You have to start somewhere right? Plus this is not a huge expensive wedding, it is a little country wedding in a small church with a few people. Not going to be huge. I have done engagement photos for the couple as well as bridal photos. They also know that I am new to this and by no means am a "professional". They have been super pleased with the work i've done so far. I was just looking for tips, not negativity. I take all the adivice you guys have given me but didn't all of you start somewhere? I know a lot about my camera but I was just looking to learn tips from pro's. I don't charge a lot right now because I am new to this. I will eventually up my prices but in the area I live in $500 is a lot for a wedding. Thanks for all the replies....

The best way to 'start somewhere' is to ask a Pro if you can shadow them for a while. Tell them you are a hard worker and will have no problem fetching bags, changing lenses, doing whatever he/she asks. In return you could then take some photos of your own.
This way, the bride and groom are not totally relying on YOU to produce the results, all you have to do is practice and learn. The Pro may also then use a few of your shots which would be another bonus for them.

My advice would be to do this OR wait at least untill you have done a few family/friends weddings, as a back up photog... again not the main.

You really cannot judge how it is going to go just by saying 'they liked a few of my old photos'. Shooting a wedding 'live' is MUCH harder than it sounds and on the day, without experiance, you may end up with nothing of real interest on your camera card. This may not bother you too much as you can put it down to practice, but what about the bride and groom?... and the most important day of thier lives.

yup I am sure! :) How come they won't let you use flash over there?? Just wondering..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back