Taking your gear to pro sports events..

Discussion in 'Photojournalism & Sports Gallery' started by Shocknawe, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Shocknawe

Shocknawe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Has anyone ran into problems doing so? Taking in their camera and a long telephoto to a NFL,MLB,NHL or like wise game? Just curious because I'll be attending some events this year and I'd like to get some good photos but a buddy of mine got the "riot act" last year at a NFL game about being press and what not and they almost didn't let him in with out paying extra for being press...they basically made an assumption at face value of what he had in his bag. The end state was they did let him in, maybe his little boy was the convincing factor that he was just a fan with a good camera and he did get some great shots from his endzone seats.

2. Insanity

Insanity TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Only taken my camera to one event, and the stadium set the rules. I couldn't have a lens longer than 6 inches. They didn't even look twice at my camera, had the kit lens and a canon Xs

From what I hear, it seems like the security is the problem. If you get a nice guy, you're free and clear. Get an uptight guy and you're gonna have problems.

3. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    It really will pay to review the venue details before you go as different places will have different policies. You are likley to find that there are limitations especailly if you turn up with a DSLR - the press pay a lot to shoot professional shots so they have to protect that aspect as well as limit the chances of someone having a massive camera in the stands.

4. Kenny32

Kenny32 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I almost got kicked out of a UConn basketball game 2 years ago for having a "professional" lens. It was a 70-300 4.5-5.6 on my D50, which is half the size of my current setup.

On the flip side, I brought my D300 (took the grip off) and my 80-200 F/2.8 into Yankee Stadium for World Series Game Two with no issues. I actually struck up conversation with one of the ushers.

I think the issues are with the indoor sports (basketball, hockey, etc) rather than the outdoor sports for whatever reason.

5. SNAPaPHOTO

SNAPaPHOTO TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Get press credentials and it is much easier. I volunteer/ freelance at a local paper and my id from there helps allot.

Seriously though it is the security that gets direction from the venue itself. Unless I am going as a paid photog I don't even bother with the big gear anymore. I grab my daughter's pocket camera and just go enjoy myself.

6. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Most professional sports venues have 'fine print' that tells you that certain photographic equipment is not allowed. A lot depends, however, on the guy who stops you at the gate. Some are more picky than others. Bringing in a big telephoto is almost certain to raise eyebrows. I was able to talk my way into a Diamondbacks game with my 300mm f/4, but couldn't get anything at all into the Prescott Rodeo. I brought my Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 into a Suns game in the pocket of my cargo jeans (the 50mm f/1.8 was mounted on the camera). I also brought my 1.4x TC.

I'm pretty sure that 200-500mm of yours would cause grief at a lot of places.

7. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How do you go about getting a press pass?

8. fokker

fokker No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Self portrait + laminated plastic card and a bit of computer work ;)

9. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    got samples ? :)

10. SNAPaPHOTO

SNAPaPHOTO TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Press passes: real ones are not that hard to obtain.

Donate some time at your local community paper and get them to endorse you for the state press credentials. It cost about $50 a year but gets you into allot of places.

I also have a black shirt with event photographer on it and a letter from my paper asking me to take pictures.

And lastly if you just act like you are supposed to be there, then the $2 hr security guard will back off. Of course you really can't be trying to go in with your kids at this time though.

Do it legitimately and they will back down. I had one venue where they were giving me grief, so I had to have the TV crew there filming the crowds, vouch for me and finally I was allowed in. The broadcast and print community all knows each other and we help each other out. So again go volunteer with a paper and snap some pictures for them. Heck go to local football games and cover them for trade of the credentials.

11. jchin

jchin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I heard that they don't allow those Canon white lenses into the games. :grumpy:

12. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Use a mirror lens :mrgreen: