Talk Me Out of the 70-200 2.8 IS

I have my eye set on the 70-200 2.8 IS. I like to shoot our dogs at the park, I love the zoo, and I really love portraiture... nothing truly warranting the price tag because I don't do this professionally. So why buy this lens? Why not the 4.0 IS? Why not the 70-300? Somebody talk some sense into me.

Nobody in their right mind will talk you out of this fantastic lens.

Hey Overread, thanks for your inputs. I think my mind's made up. I just need to finish talking the wife into it. I think I'll need to factor in the cost of a new purse.
Can I get a picture with the new lens of your wife's new purse. :) it better be a good one since you went big!

She went for the weekend b&b option :) Here's a picture of a squirrel instead!

​

Thanks! Not gonna lie, I followed this little dude all over the park. Poor things kept getting dive-bombed by the bully finches.

Hey Overread, thanks for your inputs. I think my mind's made up. I just need to finish talking the wife into it. I think I'll need to factor in the cost of a new purse.
Can I get a picture with the new lens of your wife's new purse. :) it better be a good one since you went big!

​

Very nice picture. That lens is so worth every penny.

Not sure I understand the "I don't need IS cause I'm a beast" argument? it doesn't matter how steady you are, IS is still going to make you able to use slower shutter speeds, and is thus equally useful. At 200mm:

* If you have wimpy arms and suffer from palsy, then you might be able to shoot a crisp shot at 1/500th of a second only, then IS is going to bring you down to 1/80th or so.
* If you have strong arms and happen to be able to hold very steady, then you might get crisp shots at 1/160th, and the IS is going to bring you down to 1/20th.
* If you are a creature of mythical lore whose very body is hewn from the spirit of granite, then you might be able to hold the lens for 1/20 second handheld, and IS will bring you to 1/2 second.

Etc.

Can't talk you out of it, you know you want it, you know eventually you will end up getting one. So quit trying to avoid it and just get it over with.

Last edited:
Update, for those who haven't read... I bought the thing. It's paired up with my 7D and currently resides on a table near my back door waiting patiently for an elusive cardinal.

Update, for those who haven't read... I bought the thing. It's paired up with my 7D and currently resides on a table near my back door waiting patiently for an elusive cardinal.
In other words, the damage is done so zip it! Did they not see the squirrel? :)

​

"Have you seen my nuts? I left them here on these screws, but now they've gone!"

Thanks! Not gonna lie, I followed this little dude all over the park. Poor things kept getting dive-bombed by the bully finches.

Yeah... I USED to think squirrels were cute. Then I bought a home and had to deal with them digging holes all over the lawn. Sorry... I'm siding with the bully finches on this one. :gun:

Have you considered a slight compromise with the sigma 70-200 f/2.8 IS? I have only heard good things about it, and it is half the price of its OEM counterparts.
Heard the Sigma is a great lens dont get juked out with your money! Get the cheaper one thats just as good! theres videos on youtube of pictures with the sigma!

Have you considered a slight compromise with the sigma 70-200 f/2.8 IS? I have only heard good things about it, and it is half the price of its OEM counterparts.
Heard the Sigma is a great lens dont get juked out with your money! Get the cheaper one thats just as good! theres videos on youtube of pictures with the sigma!

Wtf, WTF. I already bought the Canon. That sigma is inferior just based on the fact that it's not weather sealed. The money's gone already, anyway, with zero remorse.

Wtf, WTF. I already bought the Canon. That sigma is inferior just based on the fact that it's not weather sealed. The money's gone already, anyway, with zero remorse.
i just replied with pixmedics comment i didnt go to the last paghe sorry bud

I mostly just wanted to say wtf, wtf.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back