Tamron 150-600 G2 Annoyance

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Loving this lens so far! Except that I carry it on a black rapid strap when hiking, which in the standard orientation (camera upside down, lens facing behind me) leaves the switches on the side of the lens bumping against my body. Because the switches are so easy to move, I've missed several shots because the AF had gotten turned off or focus had gotten limited.

My current work around is to carry the camera in a different orientation which isn't ideal, or to put a small piece of gaffers tape over the switches. Both of these solutions are less than elegant, but I suppose that's what I'm stuck with.

Having the camera in a different orientation either makes it harder to bring up to my eye for quick photos, or makes it ride awkwardly while I walk. The tape obviously has to be removed to make changes.. again not ideal but better than the first option.

Anyone else experienced this issue? Have any other workarounds? Is there a better way to carry a lens like this while hiking?

@coastalconn?

I use a peak design (Slide), because I heard this being a problem on the black rapids. I'm still looking for the best place to attach it to the lens, (at the moment I have the tripod mount on the 3 O'clock position on the lens), and the strap attached to it, and on the left side of my camera. This works quite well and I've been happy that it does not swing around at all.

Quick-Connecting Camera Straps | Peak Design Straps

I had the same issue with BR where the switches getting knocked off or out of my desired positions. Also many times when I lift the camera to my eye the over the shoulder pad would slip off my shoulder down to my waist and moving around at all with out constant hand support means a big heavy swinging lens thats not very fun. I switched to peak deign and love it and with the quick release Archa type mounting plate on the tripod foot its free to tripod mount anytime with out the need to ever remove the strap.

Last edited:
Page 2 of this thread coastalconn talks about the double shoulder strap he uses and how it's attached. I use the same one.

As for the button issue. This camo type of self sticking non adhesive tape is what my lens is covered with. It only sticks to itself and leaves nothing on the lens once removed. Put it over the buttons and they'll be protected.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Loving this lens so far! Except that I carry it on a black rapid strap when hiking, which in the standard orientation (camera upside down, lens facing behind me) leaves the switches on the side of the lens bumping against my body. Because the switches are so easy to move, I've missed several shots because the AF had gotten turned off or focus had gotten limited.

My current work around is to carry the camera in a different orientation which isn't ideal, or to put a small piece of gaffers tape over the switches. Both of these solutions are less than elegant, but I suppose that's what I'm stuck with.

Having the camera in a different orientation either makes it harder to bring up to my eye for quick photos, or makes it ride awkwardly while I walk. The tape obviously has to be removed to make changes.. again not ideal but better than the first option.

Anyone else experienced this issue? Have any other workarounds? Is there a better way to carry a lens like this while hiking?

@coastalconn?
BR straps are such a waste of money. I use the generic ones for under $15 like this Quick Release Camera Strap Double Dual Shoulder Sling Belt f DSLR Digital Camera | eBay
You can see in the video how the camera hangs and is ready to pick up and shoot. You could also get a lens coat which would cover the switches..

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the replies everyone! Way more useful replies than I was actually expecting!

I really like the design of the peak design strap and I'm thinking about investing in one... we'll see.

I never thought to cover the lens with that self adhesive bandage style tape... we use it on the ambulance and it's perfect for this! I can't justify the cost of a lens coat, and I'm not really a fan of how they go on a zoom lens anyway.

I use a Luma labs cinch 2 attached to their own arca swiss plate on my battery grip. I'd like to find a solution for my strap to where I can connect and disconnect to my lens or my battery grip. I haven't attached it to my lens yet because of the hassle, so I throw it over my shoulder and hold the lens. I know, not the greatest idea but it's what I do for now

I use a Luma labs cinch 2 attached to their own arca swiss plate on my battery grip. I'd like to find a solution for my strap to where I can connect and disconnect to my lens or my battery grip. I haven't attached it to my lens yet because of the hassle, so I throw it over my shoulder and hold the lens. I know, not the greatest idea but it's what I do for now

The peak design slide appears to be what we're looking for. Gives you the option to quickly connect to different locations without moving too much stuff around

Yea its pretty cool you can go from from sling to neck to shoulder if you have anchors in all the places and adjusted in very little time. IMO its a very clever design and the quality is excellent. I got the SL-2 2 inch wide In Navy Blue for the D7200 -Tamron 150-600 sling set up and the SL-1 1 inch wide Black on my Fuji mirrorless as a neck strap.I find them very comfortable especially as a sling set up.

@coastalconn?
BR straps are such a waste of money. I use the generic ones for under $15 like this Quick Release Camera Strap Double Dual Shoulder Sling Belt f DSLR Digital Camera | eBay
You can see in the video how the camera hangs and is ready to pick up and shoot. You could also get a lens coat which would cover the switches..
Just ordered one, Thanks

@coastalconn?
Just ordered one, Thanks

Just ordered one, Thanks

Me too!
I just saw the extra lugs came back in stock if you need them for other lenses.. Amazon.com : Quick Install Camera Tripod Mount Screw to Attach Neck or Wrist Straps - 4 Pack - Fast and Secure Connection - Durable Metal - Fits Standard Camera Tripod Connections - Easy Twist Grip - Rubber Buffer : Camera & Photo

@coastalconn?
Just ordered one, Thanks

Just ordered one, Thanks

Me too!
I just saw the extra lugs came back in stock if you need them for other lenses.. Amazon.com : Quick Install Camera Tripod Mount Screw to Attach Neck or Wrist Straps - 4 Pack - Fast and Secure Connection - Durable Metal - Fits Standard Camera Tripod Connections - Easy Twist Grip - Rubber Buffer : Camera & Photo
Thanks

If it starts bugging me I just turn the camera around and carry it backwards. But it doesn't bug me all that often as I usually have one hand on the camera anyway. If I'm out in a city I always have my camera in view or I have one hand on the camera and a finger or two on the lens body ever since I saw the episode of The Real Hustle where they easily removed and theifed the lenses from unsuspecting photograhers.

@coastalconn?
Mine came in today. I can't believe the quality of this strap for the price. Amazing.

Most reactions

Back