Tamron 150-600mm Lens

birdbonkers84

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys,

I quite fancy the Tamron SP AF 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Lens for Wildlife photography, I've looked at the reviews off of Amazon and watched a few youtube reviews on it, but you can never tell if these guys are being paid to give good reviews.

Is there anyone here that has one or has used one before that could shed some light on its pros/cons.. I currently have a Nikon D3300 body, but also looking into upgrading that too.

Kind Regards,

Mark

I got the G2 recently and have been quite happy with it. It is a huge adjustment to shoot with such a large and heavy lens. I need to micro adjust the focus, but I'm waiting for good weather to do it. Take a look at coastalconn's flicker album of the 150-600. He is an exceptional bird photographer though, and gets excellent results regardless of the equipment he uses. But it does show what the the lens s capable of in the right hands.
Tamron 150-600

Last edited:
I got the G2 recently and have been quite happy with it. It is a huge adjustment to shoot with such a large and heavy lens. I need to micro adjust the focus, but I'm waiting for good weather to do it. Take a look at coastalconn's flicker album of the 150-600. He is an exceptional bird photographer though, and gets excellent result regardless of the equipment he uses. But it does show what the the lens s capable of in the right hands.
Tamron 150-600

Wow those portrait shots of the red tailed hawk are amazing! Loving the bokeh this lens produces, so smooth.

I got the G2 recently and have been quite happy with it. It is a huge adjustment to shoot with such a large and heavy lens. I need to micro adjust the focus, but I'm waiting for good weather to do it. Take a look at coastalconn's flicker album of the 150-600. He is an exceptional bird photographer though, and gets excellent results regardless of the equipment he uses. But it does show what the the lens s capable of in the right hands.
Tamron 150-600

Just ordered it, can't wait to give it a whirl!

I have CoastalConns original Tamron 150-600 (version 1).
They are great "affordable" long reach zooms.

They are sharpest at f/8 so mine is always at f/8
Below f/8 I can clearly see image "fuzziness", thus always at f/8.

you d3x00 body may not like focusing much at f/8 though. The d7100s and above AF systems are designed for f/8 focusing though still prefer bright environments.

you d3x00 body may not like focusing much at f/8 though. The d7100s and above AF systems are designed for f/8 focusing though still prefer bright environments.

Ah good to know, I've already got my eye on the D7100 on amazon, will need to wait a couple of months, but I'll be kicking ass come the summer time!

Have fun with it, like I mentioned it is a steep learning curve. Keep at it when you don't get the results you want from the start.

Have fun with it, like I mentioned it is a steep learning curve. Keep at it when you don't get the results you want from the start.

Cheers it arrives next week so I'll post some pics when I get the chance!

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Ah good to know, I've already got my eye on the D7100 on amazon, will need to wait a couple of months, but I'll be kicking ass come the summer time!

Look into getting that 7100 used/refurb. I got mine a little over a year ago for just under $500 refurb from Cameta w/ incl 1 year warranty and it had under 200 shutter count. It was in perfect condition.

Look into getting that 7100 used/refurb. I got mine a little over a year ago for just under $500 refurb from Cameta w/ incl 1 year warranty and it had under 200 shutter count. It was in perfect condition.

Managed to grab a good condition used D7100 off amazon for £460, for that price I couldn't resist, just means beans and toast for the rest of the month :)

I bought my Tamron 150-600 when I had D3300 and I think it's awesome!! I have a D810 now and still use the 150-600 and it's still amazing!

Attachments

• 1487406731807.png
    1487406731807.png
    124.5 KB · Views: 125
I bought my Tamron 150-600 when I had D3300 and I think it's awesome!! I have a D810 now and still use the 150-600 and it's still amazing!

Really looking forward to playing around with the D7100 and Tamron lens when they arrive!

..... you d3x00 body may not like focusing much at f/8 though. The d7100s and above AF systems are designed for f/8 focusing though still prefer bright environments.
The aperture will be wide open until the shutter is tripped. I don't know what the max aperture on that lens is but it will remain at that aperture until stay there until the shutter is pressed and at that time it will stop down to the desired aperture.

Cool, well I hope you enjoy.

I've the G1 of the lens for 2 years now and it's a fun toy to have. It'll produce some good results in the right conditions. The second thing to realise is that it's not as good as the big primes, but then again for the price point I've been more than happy with mine. If you are looking for a budget wildlife lens with great reach then it's still a good buy IMO.

oops, I wrote the wrong thing
The Tamron is still f/6.3 @600mm. It's f/5 - f/6.3 lens
The D3300 likes f/5.6 or better. Not that it won't work, you'll see better performance on better bodies in not prime light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back