Tamron 17-50 advice

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by PushingTin, Feb 9, 2008.

1. PushingTin

PushingTin TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Looking for a zoom in the 17-70 region.

I have the Nikon 70-200 VR so I am very spoilt when it comes to image quality. Now that I have experienced just how good the 70-200 is, I want the same IQ in the 17-70 range.

I have had the 18-200 VR and was dissapointed with the IQ from that lens.

I have heard really good reviews on the Tamron 17-50, is the Nikon 17-55 a better bet or is the Tamron really as good as the reviews make it out to be.

I am not so worried about build (i know the nikon is better there) but Image Quality is very important to me.

Obviously cost is a factor....

Currently using a D50 but my D200 is on the way :)

All help and comments are welcomed and appreciated - Thanks.

2. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you don't care about build, than get the tamron, because that's why you buy the Nikkor.

I owned a Tamron 11-18 for 2 days and returned it because it had the worst build quality of anything i've ever used. It was BAD.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've got the Tamron 17-50 F2.8. It's a very good lens. Build quality is good and the image quality is also very good. I don't think the IQ is quite as good as the Canon equivalent (17-55 F2.8 IS) but it's less than half the price, which is why I got it.

I'm not too familiar with the IQ of the Nikon 17-55 F2.8...but I hear it's pretty darn good. I guess the question to ask yourself, is whether or not that extra 5 or 10% of IQ is worth double or triple the price.

4. S2K1

S2K1 TPF Noob!

I love my Tamron 17-50. I was skeptical but after reading the reviews, I went for it. Everyone one of my friends who have borrowed this lens from me has been blown away by the quality compared to cost.

5. Deadeye008

Deadeye008 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have had my Tamron 17-50 for about 6 months now and it is my most used lens. IQ is very good, even wide open at 2.8. I have not been able to test it against the nikon or canon equivalent. I have the canon 70-200 4L and can say that with both lenses stopped down to f4 there is little difference in IQ with a slight edge going to the canon. Build quality on the Tamron is not as good as th canon L series but it is still very good compared to canon's standard series lenses.

6. PushingTin

PushingTin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thx for all the comments

7. PushingTin

PushingTin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Just purchased the Tamron 17-50 2.8

Havent played too much with it yet, but first impressions are not bad. The build is better than I expected (after hearing terrible reviews on the build) and IQ looks ok - but still need to test properly.

Oh and I made sure it was "Made in Japan", also heard there were a few issues with the "Made in China" versions!

8. BrandonS

BrandonS TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I got the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8. I've only owned my D80 and the lens for a few days now, but it takes great picture thus far. The only thing I've noticed is at 2.8 it has some vignetting, but nothing I haven't been able to easily remove with Lightroom.

9. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Some have the front element come loose over time. You need a tiny screwdriver, remove the front glass, tighten down the 3 screws after dipping in locktite and never worry again.

Though the Tamron is known for being sharp... the Sigma 18-50 DC EX HSM macro is sharper, has lower CA, less vignetting and less flare issues... it also comes with a 3:1 macro... something none of the competitors have... all for about the same price.