Tamron 17-50 f/2.8?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by DrongoPhoto, Jun 14, 2010.

1. DrongoPhoto

DrongoPhoto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Anybody have any experience with this lens? I think I might pick one up for my 7D instead of the 16-35 L.

2. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

It is a great lens for what it worth! It stay on my camera most of the time.

Of course, if I have the extra cash, I will go with the L or the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.

3. chammer

chammer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It's great. Love mine on the 50D. Has proven itself to be as sharp as my 50mm 1.8 II under studio conditions. Only downside is that it doesn't work on the 5D. Is for crop bodies only. :(

4. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's my standard lens on my 7D (I have the one without image stabilization). I loved it on my 30D and still love it on my 7D.

5. rallysman

rallysman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have the re-badged version (promaster...it's the same only it was cheaper with less of a warranty...so I took a gamble).

I love that lens. By far the favorite that I have in my bag. Very sharp, quiet, and fast.

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've been using it as my primary wedding lens for a few years now, it's a very capable lens. The new version with VC (Tamron's version of IS, VR etc.) looks very promising as well, but it a bit more expensive.

I don' think, however, that it will be any better than the 16-35mm F2.8 L. It's only advantage being that's it's less than half the price.

The Canon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS, is certainly worth considering. It's a better lens than the Tamron, but it's twice the price (of the non-VC version anyway).