Tamron 17-50 f2.8. problem with sharpness

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Robert Kaleta, May 17, 2008.

1. Robert Kaleta

Robert Kaleta TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've purchased this lens a week ago and i've taken quite a few photos with it now. However most of them seem out of focus. At first i thought it was because of the f2.8 which i was using but that would make the photo soft not out of focus.

Here are some examples. Shot at f2.8 1/80. handheld 50 mm. Focus was on her left eye. Almost every picture has a problem like that. Should i take it back to the shop?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3236/2499653553_c23952242b_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2062/2499663097_e7bb17f00d_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2367/2499671829_4e34222a95_b.jpg

2. ChickenFriedRyce

ChickenFriedRyce TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    An element could be off center in your lens, I would take it back and take pictures with it there and show them the results.

EDIT: Also try Manually focusing, if nothing is sharp, take it back immediately.

3. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    IMHO, it's inexperience, not the lens.

One eye would be sharp, the other off. Just becuase a lens can do F/2.8 doesn't mean it's good to always use nothing but F/2.8.

Try upping it to F/4 or F/5.6 and retake the same shots. We all know that the extremes of the aperture ranges are not usually where a lens is sharpest. A big aperture is also very sensitive to having an accurate focus. A shallow DOF is the main effect of a larger aperture opening.

4. ChickenFriedRyce

ChickenFriedRyce TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well of course, but I wouldn't think they'd look that soft, if soft at all.

5. Robert Kaleta

Robert Kaleta TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ChickenFriedRyce:
    Thanks for the advice. I'll probably go to the shop on monday and have a little chat.

JerryPH:
    To be honest with you inexperience was my first thought. I've never used aperture that wide. On the other hand i expected at least some part of the photograph to be sharp. What i noticed is that this lens might have a front focus problem as in some or even most of the shots the sharp part is "closer" to the lens than i intended it to be.
    I'm going to print this (http://photo.net/learn/focustest/) sheet and see if i'm right.

Thanks for your help guys.

6. Early

Early TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Retest the lens using a tripod. 1/80th of a sec. isn't a whole lot of speed for many photographers.

7. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It seems like a lot of people have focusing issues with the third party lenses, Sigma in particular, but Tamron too. I haven't heard much about this specific lens, but there's always the possibility that the lens is front-focusing or rear-focusing. There's a focus test chart that you can download and print from here to test out your lens.

That said, I do usually shoot my f/2.8 mid-zoom at about f/4 just for a little more depth of field to avoid the issues like you're having. And like Early mentioned, 1/80s is a tad slow particularly if the subject was moving. I don't go below 1/125s if I can avoid it, and usually use a flash. I thought I might have been having focus issues when I got my lens, but I printed out that chart and tested it and it was fine. Just needed to work on technique. I have the Nikon 17-55 though, not known for focusing issues. Can't say the same for Sigma and Tamron, so definitely test yours.

8. Robert Kaleta

Robert Kaleta TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've done the front focus test and it's spot on. I guess there's nothing wrong with the lens it's what JerryPH said " IMHO, it's inexperience, not the lens."

And you were also right about the shutter speed.

Thanks for your help guys.