Tamron 17-50mm, 17-70mm?, Tamron 28-75mm?

wmc1117

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I currently have the Canon XS and am considering these lenses and was curious if people could contribute either the pros and cons of the lenses or the difference between each/what would people recommend and why? Thanks for your time and whatever you have to say I am interested to hear. Keep in mind this primarily for my trip to Budapest for my study abroad next semester!

I have the older version of the 17-50 f/2.8 (before they added image stabilization). It has lived on my camera (first my 30D and now my 7D) greater than 75% of the time. It is sharp, accurate focus, beautiful color, good Bokeh and I have not been disappointed. The focal-length range works well for me as a walkaround lens (I have an UWA and short telephotos as well), but I think I would like it more if it went to the 70mm range on the high end. I don't have any experience with the other lenses you mentioned, but didn't know that Tamron made a 17-70. The 28-75 would not be wide enough for me to use as a walkaround lens. I use mine down at the 17 end quite often.

I'm pretty sure I read that the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 starts slowing down from 2.8 very quickly (like at around 20mm or so), so you lose the advantage of the fast lens that the Tamron 17-50 gives you.

I've had the Tamron 17-50mm and my sister currently has one. Both copies were great and were quite sharp. I've heard good things about the 28-75mm, but have never personally used it as I agree with icassell, it's just not wide enough for a walk around lens.

Most reactions

Back