Tamron 17 - 50mm f/2.8 lens question

KayleighKins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
aya.awardspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm upgrading from my point and shoot to my first DSLR camera--finally. I bought a canon xsi body-only so that I can save my money for a better lens then the kit it usually comes with.

After looking at a ton of lens reviews I'm thinking seriously about a Tamron SP AF 17 - 50mm f/2.8 (for a walk around starter). The problem is that some of these reviews say that since it doesn't have IS that you'll need to use it with a tripod. Well, that doesn't sound applicable to me. I have a tripod but I use it very rarely.

When I shoot I'm on the go (hiking/camping/walking the city) and I'm worried that if I drop the money on the Tamron that my shots won't come up sharp. Is there a better walk around lens for someone like me?

Things I shoot most often with my point and shoot: landscapes, macro, low light/natural light portraits (you can click the link in my signature for my photography).

Thanks in advance :D

Stabilization only gets you a stop or something of motion blur. As long as you're not trying to shoot it handheld at slower than maybe 1/30th of a second, you'll probably be ok. Don't take my word for it though, I'm sure others will be quick to chime in.

EDIT: Also the one with VC (vibration compensation - Tamron's form of image stabilization) is $120 more expensive about. Could spring for it...

EDIT: Reading the reviews, people seem to greatly favor the more expensive VC version of the lens in terms of overall image quality and even auto focus.

Good to know! On the reviews I read they actually preferred the non-VC though. From The Digital Picture:

Overall, the Tamron 17-50mm non-VC lens is sharper, has less vignetting, has a similar amount of CA and has less barrel distortion on the wide end but more pincushion distortion on the long end.

I really appreciate your input though. Do you know how quickly people usually shoot with DSLR's? My point and shoot has a couple seconds of lag before each shot so what would someone use 1/30th of a second shots for?

i bought my 17-50 2.8 before the vc version, but i didnt feel it was needed anyways at these focal lengths (and its not). the image quality is top notch, and a lot cheaper than the closest canon equivalent, the 17-55 f/2.8 IS non-L.

it does feel like a cheaper lens in some regard, but the image quality makes up for it.

reznap states that the vc version is a bit better image quality and focus wise, but again...no complaints from the image on my non-vc version, and AF while being noiser than my 70-200 due to not being a usm/hsm, is not a problem and it focuses plenty fast. i use it for general purpose, landscapes, and indoor dog show events.

while the full frame users are used to ultra-wide angles, and will claim that on a crop body 17mm is not wide enough, i disagree. while it wont match a 17mm on a full frame body it is plenty wide to shoot great landscapes with. 50mm on the long end is right at 80mm which makes a great focal length for portraits as well. :)

i have lots of shots on my flickr, albeit older and crappier than what i can produce now, to provide some reference. they are tagged as 17-50mm. i can provide better, more recent examples once i get home and have access to my photos if you wish.

however, here was the very first shot i did with both the 50d and the tamron 17-50:

3825053576_af286244f1.jpg

...and if you look at the exif here:

Flickr: More detail about leaf1

you will see that i shot it at 50mm at 1/25th which is less than the 1/focal length recommendation, and without vc obviously. out in the wilderness camping you should have no problem getting 1/25th.

im a BIG fan of this lens as you can tell, and im looking forward to picking up its 28-75mm f/2.8 sibling shortly, which is touted as being just about equal to the 24-70 f/2.8L at $1k less. :D

Good post chammer, goes to show you can't just go by reviews.

My point and shoot has a couple seconds of lag before each shot

That's probably while it's auto focusing and metering while in auto mode. On most compact point and shoots and all DSLRs you have a 2-stage shutter button. When you press it halfway the camera will autofocus and meter light. When you press all the way down the shutter opens instantaneously until it's told to close.

I have the non-VC version for Canon. And it is my walk around lens too.

Do I find it limited without VC? Nope. If it is a telephoto lens, I may say yes. Is it going to be better with VC? I will say yes, but is it worth the extra money is a different story.

In general rules, if you can take a photo with shutter speed equal to 1/(focal length x 1.6), the photo should be good enough without blur due to camera shake. (Unless you have a pair of shaky hands)

So, if you take a photo with focal length of 17mm. You will need to make sure you take the photo with shutter speed of at least 1/30.
And if the focal length you use is 50mm, then you need a shutter speed of at least 1/80.

As you can see, in normal situation, it is very easy to achieve 1/30 to 1/80 or greater shutter speed. And that is why VC is not needed. However, when you are in an darker environment and taking a photo of a stationary object, VC is helpful.

However, when you are in an darker environment and taking a photo of a stationary object, VC is helpful.

i kinda disagree with this as in a darker environment with a static subject, a tripod and longer shutter speed can be used, and vc would be moot even then as it could then introduce a bit of blur if turned on while on a tripod.

i do agree though, this not being a telephoto, the vc isnt missed or as important as if it were say a 70-300mm or the like. in that case i'd say spend the money for the vc version, but at this focal length i dont feel it warrants it.

the point remains...you're going to be VERY pleased with either copy you choose. go buy it already! :thumbup:

the point remains...you're going to be VERY pleased with either copy you choose. go buy it already! :thumbup:

Haha! I would but B&H is out of stock and ebay is setting off my scam alarm. Why in the heck is the Nikon mount less expensive then the Canon mount. Sadness.

Personally, I love my Tokina 16-50mm f/2.8. From what I hear, its definately more sturdy in terms of build quality than the Tamron. It does not have Stabilization either and as others have said, unless you are shooting in really low light and slow shutter speeds, there shouldn't be much use for it. Here are a few pics taken with my Tokina, on a T1i. It has become my walk around lens.

[I took the pics down so they weren't taking up so much space and I figured you saw the post. Don't want to look like I am hijackng your post.]

Last edited:
here are a couple quick snapshots i did outside before it got too dark:

both were taken at the 50mm end, first at f/8 and the second at f/5.6, and are straight out of the camera other than re-sizing the full images.

full image:

ball-full.jpg

100% crops from two areas:

ball-100-1.jpg

ball-100-2.jpg

full image:

wood-full.jpg

100% crop:

wood-100.jpg

However, when you are in an darker environment and taking a photo of a stationary object, VC is helpful.

i kinda disagree with this as in a darker environment with a static subject, a tripod and longer shutter speed can be used, and vc would be moot even then as it could then introduce a bit of blur if turned on while on a tripod.

That's why it is helpful, not required :)

There was a situation that I walk around with the Tamron. And then enter a museum. I end up need to bump up the ISO. So it will be nice to have VC at that time.

I took this hand held (3 bracketed shots) with the Tamron 17-50mm with my body leaned against the wall. You can see double image on the people. :)

3565089479_f110891ab2_o.jpg

That's why it is helpful, not required

thats true! :)

There was a situation that I walk around with the Tamron. And then enter a museum. I end up need to bump up the ISO. So it will be nice to have VC at that time.

yea, true too. it would help if you wanted to keep the iso down. there no doubting that IS/VC/OS/whatever manufacturer X calls it works wonders...i love it on my 70-200, and i think its something that works wonders for telephotos but is only one of those "yea, thats nice to have" features on the shorter lenses.

lol neat effect on the peoples. i like the shot, and love the sky. great job for being bracketed handheld! :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back