Tamron 17-50mm VC with Nikon D3100?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by abrunks, Feb 16, 2011.

1. abrunks

abrunks New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello,

I just recently bought a new Nikon D3100 and am looking to upgrade the kit lens. Here's what I'm looking for:

-max aperture f/2.8
    -VR/VC/OS feature
    -mid range "street" lens

The Tamron 17-50mm VC fits all of the above (and my budget) but I have read from a few sources that the lens lacks an internal focusing motor. Does the Tamron 17-50mm VC have an internal focusing motor? The entry level D3100 does not have a focusing motor built into the body so if I got a lens without an internal motor I'd be shooting blanks.

Thanks for any help and I'm also open to other lens suggestions.
  2. JustAnEngineer

JustAnEngineer New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    SP 17-50mm F/2.8 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF); Tamron USA, Inc.

BIM is Tamron's way of saying that the Di-II 17-50mm f/2.8 VC lens will auto-focus with entry-level Nikon DSLRs (like Nikon's AF-S lenses will).

The full Tamron lens compatibility table is here:
    http://www.tamron-usa.com/lenses/prod/assets/pdfs/slr_compatability_chart.pdf

Some reviews suggest that the non-VC version of the Tamron lens may be sharper.

You might also consider the Sigma DC 17-50mm f/2.8 OS HSM.
    17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM - Standard Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

HSM is Sigma's way of saying that the built-in focus motor is fast and quiet.
  3. davidlunt

davidlunt New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I am about to purchase this same lens. Justanengineer is correct that some reviews claim that the non VC version is sharper. That had me worried so I read at least a hundred reviews. I have seen many more that claim the VC version is just as sharp as the non VC. So I plan to get the VC. Good luck with your purhase. Let us know what you think!
  4. abrunks

abrunks New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks a lot guys! I'm glad to hear it because it looks like a great lens. I should be picking up the lens here within a couple of weeks and I'll be sure to let everyone know how I feel about it.
  5. Texas Parrothead

Texas Parrothead New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Davidlunt - I live in Ft. Worth area as well and am looking to but the same lens. Are you buying localling and if so where/why? Are you getting a price comparable to online pricing?