1. (you can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner)

As part of our new initiative on TPF you can come and take part in a series of new in-depth articles and discussions every month. Featured this month are the methods that one of our top avian photographers, Kristofer Rowe uses to get his stunning photos (as also featured on Tamron USA website as well!). So drop in and take part, I know that Kristofer will be happy to answer your questions and hear what you do out in the field with your camera!

Capturing Distinctive Bird Images

Tamron 17-50mm VC with Nikon D3100?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by abrunks, Feb 16, 2011.

1. abrunks

abrunks TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello,

I just recently bought a new Nikon D3100 and am looking to upgrade the kit lens. Here's what I'm looking for:

-max aperture f/2.8
    -VR/VC/OS feature
    -mid range "street" lens

The Tamron 17-50mm VC fits all of the above (and my budget) but I have read from a few sources that the lens lacks an internal focusing motor. Does the Tamron 17-50mm VC have an internal focusing motor? The entry level D3100 does not have a focusing motor built into the body so if I got a lens without an internal motor I'd be shooting blanks.

Thanks for any help and I'm also open to other lens suggestions.

2. JustAnEngineer

JustAnEngineer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    SP 17-50mm F/2.8 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF); Tamron USA, Inc.

BIM is Tamron's way of saying that the Di-II 17-50mm f/2.8 VC lens will auto-focus with entry-level Nikon DSLRs (like Nikon's AF-S lenses will).

The full Tamron lens compatibility table is here:
    http://www.tamron-usa.com/lenses/prod/assets/pdfs/slr_compatability_chart.pdf

Some reviews suggest that the non-VC version of the Tamron lens may be sharper.

You might also consider the Sigma DC 17-50mm f/2.8 OS HSM.
    17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM - Standard Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

HSM is Sigma's way of saying that the built-in focus motor is fast and quiet.

3. davidlunt

davidlunt TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am about to purchase this same lens. Justanengineer is correct that some reviews claim that the non VC version is sharper. That had me worried so I read at least a hundred reviews. I have seen many more that claim the VC version is just as sharp as the non VC. So I plan to get the VC. Good luck with your purhase. Let us know what you think!

4. abrunks

abrunks TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks a lot guys! I'm glad to hear it because it looks like a great lens. I should be picking up the lens here within a couple of weeks and I'll be sure to let everyone know how I feel about it.

5. Texas Parrothead

Texas Parrothead TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Davidlunt - I live in Ft. Worth area as well and am looking to but the same lens. Are you buying localling and if so where/why? Are you getting a price comparable to online pricing?