Tamron 18-200?

minicoop1985

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My wife needs something to take more "macro" (not true macro, just closer shots) of things like flowers, our kid, etc, and replace her 18-55 SAM kit lens and supplement her 50mm f/1.8. The kit's a bit too soft at the long end. Anyway, I was thinking of getting her a Tamron 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 for her birthday. I know these jack of all trades lenses do give up a little IQ for convenience, but knowing that, I'm wondering if you guys think this is a decent idea or if I should look for something else. Anyone have experience with one of these? It seems like it would be a perfect fit and fits my budget, but you guys might know more than I learned playing with one in the camera shop. Thanks, everyone.

Piece of advice: Just ask your wife what she wants. I know its a birthday surprise but do yourself a favor and ask her.
My husband is very well meaning and thoughtful but has no idea what lens I want next. Personally, I really don't like that lens either... but its a personal preference. I'd rather have the 28-75mm 2.8 that Tamron makes. Its around $499. But that's me. Kids move fast and you rarely need a 200mm zoom to catch them, but you might need the 2.8 aperture.

That's the problem. I've asked her quite a few times what she wants, and basically I just get a set of parameters more than specific lenses. This seems to be the one thing that makes sense in terms of focal distance, but I dunno. I'm just awfully torn about this.

Get her a gift card from B&H ! ;)

f3.5-6.3 if definitely too slow for kids. If she looses you with a string of specs, I doubt that 18-200mm would make her happy.

My go to lens for all around shooting is my Sigma 17-50 f2.8.
I had fun with the 35mm f1.8 also. It gives a reasonable FoV on a APS-C body.

I have that lens, and cant get rid of it. Ive put it on Ebay a handful of times at a good price. No one wants it. I really wouldnt recommend it at unless you only plan on using it in very sunny days. Thats seems to be the onlyy time it produces good photos. There are much better options out there if you are looking for a longer lens for her. What are the parameters she has set forth for you to choose from. Maybe we can help you find something more appropriate for the budget and purpose.

Thanks for the warning, Steve. I guess this isn't a good idea. Basically, she wants a fairly close minimum focus distance with some magnification and autofocus. So maybe not true 1:1 macro, but something approximating that. Also something she can leave on her camera for the most part. She hates changing lenses.

As for the gift card idea, I may just drag her to the local Sony dealer (that isn't Best Buy) and see what she picks out, then cry profusely as it's going to be way out of my budget.

If you can buy a lens from a place you can return it for refund, you could skip the gift card.

Have you looked at the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 Macro ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll pop down to the camera shop later in the week and see if they've got it. They rent lenses, so if they have one, I'll give it a shot once the A55 comes back. Reasonable prices too, actually. I might avoid the lens thing altogether and get some other accessories, like a ring light or a vertical grip, instead.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back