Tamron 28-75mm 2.8?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by ryan7783, Jun 14, 2008.

1. ryan7783

ryan7783 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Anyone have any experience with this lens? I'm looking for a good portrait lens. I already have the 50mm 1.8 - so no need to suggest it.

I've read some decent reviews on it but I'm curious to know what you all think of it. I generally like to stick to Nikon or Nikkor products but if this lens is nice enough, I'll consider it. Anyone?

[​IMG]

2. randerson07

randerson07 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This is my main lens, I think its fantastic. And 28mm on my film SLR is nice and wide.

I also have a tamron 17-50 and love it as well. The build quality is good but dont think that it will match nikkor or canon. The focusing is a litte loud, but its not bad.

There are lots of examples both on film and digital in my flickr

3. ryan7783

ryan7783 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    what do you mean by loud focusing? and is it correctable in PP?

4. randerson07

randerson07 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I mean physically, when your focusing on your subject the lens makes noise, the Image Quality is top notch.

5. ryan7783

ryan7783 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    oh that doesn't bother me - after all I'm not sneaking up on my subjects. :mrgreen:

thanks for the help :thumbup:

6. Rhys

Rhys TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have this lens. I also have the 17-85IS. I don't ever seem to use the 28-75 as it's slow and inaccurate focussing is such a pain. My 17-85IS snaps into sharp focus in a way this lens should but doesn't.

Personally I would avoid this lens altogether and get something from Canon or Nikon even if it costs twice as much because it'll make the difference between "ooh I wish that was sharp" and "gosh that's sharp".

7. ryan7783

ryan7783 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    is it really as bad as you say or are you talking comparatively with the Canon glass? I noticed you have your own business - so I suppose your standards are pretty high, yes?

I just want a good portrait lens - period. Something I can use for portraits but also takes decent "general" shots too. I like my 50 1.8 but sometimes I like being able to zoom out a bit, especially in tight spots.

I've also been very interested in the Sigma 10-20mm 2.8 but I don't know how versatile that lens is for portraiture and general shots.

8. randerson07

randerson07 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I dont see the same issues, Ive used the 17-55IS alot as my mother has one. I also own a 70-200L and have used a 70-200 IS L quite a bit. Yes they focus much quieter and much faster, but my Tamrons do not miss focus, and they are just as sharp.

The only reason I want to upgrade to a 24-70L is that Ive put a few thousand clicks on my Tamron and have abused it and the cameras attached to it, and its starting to show, the barrel wobbles a bit when fully zoomed out. Where as my 70-200L shows no signs of wear.

If your price range is $400 or so, I would get the tamron or even the sigma. I owned the sigma before the Tamron. I broke it using it on a humid, Sandy, Salty, windy, Florida beach. But it was a few yrs old and worth the $200 or so I paid for it used.

9. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have heard lots of good about this lens! I don't own it myself, but would like to. I have the 17-70 and the 50-500, both Sigmas. I never have any problems with my sigma glass. For the money, I love 'em.

10. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    A new Tamron is $350, a new Nikon is $1700. 5 times the price ($1350) for something someone who doesn't use the lens all day every day is nuts! I found a Tokina 28-80mm f/2.8 that I really like for a bit more than the Tamron.

11. jcolman

jcolman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just bought this lens and I love it. Sharp as a tack! Much sharper than my $900 16-35 L glass.

12. Stranger

Stranger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    very very nice glass for its range. I love mine