Tamron 28-75mm vs Sigma 24-70 for Pentax?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Tayfun, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Tayfun

Tayfun TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi everybody;
    I want to buy one of the following lenses to use on my Pentax K10D;

1. Sigma 24-70 F/2.8 EX DG Macro
    2. Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD

I've searched both of them and I am sure both are good enough for me. Generally it is said that Tamron was slightly better optically but built quality of Sigma was better. I will use it as a walk around lens. Is there anyone used both or just can give an advice about it?

2. Stratman

Stratman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have heard nothing but good things about the Tamron. Everyone that has it seems to love it !!

3. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

The Tamron generally gets better reviews... but its 28mm at the widest end, while the Sigma is 24mm. 4mm may not sound like a huge difference, but in wide-angles it is a significant difference... and 24mm on a digital SLR will still be a moderate wide-angle, just... the 28mm won't be. I'd consider whether 28mm is wide enough for a walk-around lens... if so, get that... if not, get the Sigma or look elsewhere. Personally I would want a walkaround zoom to go wider than either, but that's just me.

4. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I have the Sigma 24-70 EX f/2.8 and like it very much. I find the optical quality to be very good. OTOH, I've never used the Tamron, so I really can't compare it w/ that one.

5. Stranger

Stranger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I own the tamron and love it.. I've never heard or seen anything from the sigma though.

I sometimes wish i would have gone with the Tamron 17-55 though, to give you another thought.

I was going to sell the 28-75 and make the swap but decided i will just buy the 10-20 this summer and be happy

6. Tayfun

Tayfun TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi all;
    Johnyboy, as you mentioned before I know you have the sigma and acc. to your advice I took sigma to account, and as Zaphod says extra 4mm wide angle seems to be nice. The idea of Tamron of mine was that I have also the kit lens 18-55 of Pentax so by Tamron 24-75 I will have wider range. Also I think if I buy Tamron 24-75, secondly I decide to buy sigma 15-30 which will complete that range. Does it seem ok? or do I miss something very badly:) Thanks to you all because of your advices.
    Also I want to ask if anybody knows that does tamron 17-50 have suitible mount for Pentax? In its website it seems like that it isn't suitible by Pentax.

7. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

Sorry no, the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 isn't being made for Pentax yet. You can try the Sigma equivalent 18-50mm f/2.8 (or of course the Pentax 16-50 if your budget allows).