Tamron 28-75mm

tenlientl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So after reading about 70-200mms, I decided I might be more satisfied if I go with a Nikon 24-70mm to take outside.

$2,000 is a lot for me, I think I'm going for a 3rd party lens. I am willing to pay $2,000 for the Nikon, but I don't think the difference is important for me atm.

At first I thought about the Sigma 24-70mm, but from what I've read, I might be better off with the Tamron 28-75mm. I don't think the lost of 4mm will be a big deal.

Now for my question. Anyone thats used the Tamron 28-75mm have any suggestions for an alternative?

The 70-200mm will be a Nikon, but that's in a year or so.

http://www.cameracanada.com/eNet-cart/Product.asp?pid=104A09NII&type=

You buy the nikon because it's a nikkor, you pay for build quality, image quality, and compatibility.

The tamron is sharp, but it's no nikkor.

24mm ain't that awesome on DX anyway. I'd consider the 17-50 instead.

Have you used the Tamron 28-75mm and Nikon 24-70mm? Coz honestly, I have a Nikon 50mm f/1.8, and the Nikkor 18-105mm. I need a better zoom lens that I can take out.

I don't know if paying tripple is worth it. I guess I should try both of them out before I buy. Only if I could find sample 'vs.' photos of the same subject. Can't seemt to find any.

edit: I mean... It's worth to pay $500 to upgrade the 18-105mm, right? Sure.. $2,000 is also worth it, but it's still not the time for me to be paying $2,000 on a lens.

Last edited:
Basically, it is hard to say if a lens is worth it or not. It is to person A, but may not to person B.

For me, photography is my new hobby and I really do not have that extra cash to spend on equipments and I have a family to feed. So I will say not worth it. However, it may worth it for others. If it is what it take to get that good sharp image, for a serious photographer point of view, he/she will think it worth every single peny.

So, the question can only be answer by yourself. :)

Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 is a great walking around lens... however I would pick a 18-50 sigma over it, they are more expensive.

You should be able to find a used tamron 28-75mm f2.8 for about $180 on the used market.

Really? $180? I might just buy a used one and buy a Nikon 24-70mm next year.

I'm assuming a Tamron 28-75mm is a HUGE upgrade from my Nikon 18-105mm?

Pardon my barging in here but where do you walk around?

I ask because I have a 28-80mm that's great for people but isn't quite there for landscapes. The extra 10mm down to 18mm is huge when trying to shoehorn in all the things that made you want to take the shot in the first place.

Have you thought about a 17-55mm Nikon?

Last edited:
I shoot in Vancouver. I seem to like taking pictures of people. I do like taking pictures landscape style, but not enough to fiend for the 18mm.

No, I havn't really thought about the 17-55mm. It ran through my mind, but I like the 50-70mm. I have a 50mm, so I wanna have the option to go beyond that.

The 18-105mm is there, but I'm not really satisfied.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I think I want a faster lens than that one. Thanks though.

And I think I've decided to just go with the Nikon 24-70mm. Too bad Futureshop doesn't sell it. I wouldnt mind going for the No Payment/Interest for 12 Months deal.

TBH, I think I only need a year. With the Futureshop thing I was talking about, I only need to pay $70 for the No Payment/Interest for One Year.

Too bad Futureshop doesn't sell it.

How would you like to lease one for 60 months with a $1 by-out?

$48.62/Mo @60 months.. http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/NT21202/leasing

Wow, thats the absolute worst terms I've ever seen.
Better off buying with CC and then do a balance transfer to another card when they send out the periodic balance tranfer special offers.

Original price is $1699
12 months final price payed is $2192
60 months final price payed is $2917 :grumpy:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back