Tamron 70-200 VC

SnappingShark

Always learning.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As some as you know - I switched from Nikon to Olympus Mirrorless, and am now switching BACK to Nikon.

I received my Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC USD today and already, I can say wow.

In my former Nikon life, I had the non-VC version of this lens, but this lens just blows it out of the water. Build quality, sharpness, and of course the VC!

Being torn between a pre-owned Nikon 70-200 and a new Tamron 70-200 VC, I was almost convinced to go for the pre-owned Nikon version, but already, I am glad that I didn't!
For both monetary reasons and the fact I don't feel 100% comfortable with pre-owned stuff.

Anyhoo - I just wanted to say that I am excited for this lens to perform well with what I throw at it. I know a lot of you have this lens - and have seen your amazing images!

I am shooting with a FF Nikon with great crop-ability (hence my reason not to go with a 300 f/4 or a 70-200 f/4 with VR3).

That's all!

how does the AF perform? On the old version it is horrible – I was thinking about upgrading.

Last edited:
Yet to test that out - only arrived in the mail this morning! Will let ya know! Need to check for firmware update, too!

Congrats, Tam 70-200mm VC is an outstanding lens, if you are not made of money its just the logical lens to buy.
I LOVE my Tami, its so frick'n sharp and the VC which is very helpful on this lens is very effective.

As for the question how it AF ?

Excellent!
Grabs focus and will not let go.
Used it both on the crop sensor D7100 and FF D750 and in both cases I found it to be a perfect companion, just love this lens, great value for money!!!

The 70-200 VC puts hair on your chest.

I just bought one too. It is soooo amazing, i spent ages researching and went with the Tamron. So sharp that i think it competes with the Nikon version. I only have used it in the late evening so far. In low light it worked well. It did search a bit on moving people at night under just a street light but im sure any lens would do that.

Oh and also, i was getting sharp shots handheld at 1/30 sec at 200mm

If anyone wants some sample shots, do let me know

I have a new tamron 70-200 f/2.8 non-VC and love it!
its been a fantastic lens on the D7100 and D600.
eventually i may have to get the newer VC version.

So, what was behind the abandonment of the Olympus system, and a return to the big, heavy, awful, antiquated, flippy-mirror Nikon concept?

So, what was behind the abandonment of the Olympus system, and a return to the big, heavy, awful, antiquated, flippy-mirror Nikon concept?

Well, my arm was feeling the pain from an earlier double break and holding steady the longer lenses I had.
So I switched to mirrorless due to the weight difference.

I must admit, it made me look at photography a different way, and actually gave me a different mindset as I pretty much always had the camera on me.

But my arm strength increased, and I found that mirrorless hadn't yet gained speed with the continual focussing, or low light abilities of DSLRs - and with a kid on the way, I wanted both the ability to shoot without the need of 1000 lights above my babys head, and to be able to keep it in focas as it moves - whether it flaps arms or runs around in a few years!

My arm is always off and on - but colder winters here in the US than UK!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back