Tamron 90mm vs Sigma 105mm

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by julius, May 28, 2007.

1. julius

julius TPF Noob!

I'm tossing up between these two macro lenses. The Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro and the Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro.

I've been doing a little reading on both and they are getting the same kind of reviews so it's hard to make a comparison. I can get them for almost exactly the same price so that's not an issue.

I've never had the chance to use either of these lenses so I'm finding it very difficult to decide.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks a lot

2. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The longer, the better. Go with the sigma.

3. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
  4. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

The Tokina would be my first choice too, unfortunately I can't seem to find it anywhere. But the Tamron, Sigma or Tokina should all be great for macro work. The only reservation I'd have is that I'm not a huge fan of the on-lens switch for auto/manual focus (found on all three), but could probably get used to that.

5. Mike_E

Photos OK to edit
    B&H is showing them in stock for Nikon and Canon this morning. I'm sorry buy I've forgotten what you shoot Zaphod. BTW, if you go to photobucket I believe you can do a search by lens to compare them.

mike

6. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

Obviously I'm not plugging P*nt*x hard enough then :lol:

Looks like B&H could get me the Sigma or Tamron, no Tokina though... but they have Pentax's own 100mm for better than UK price and a $100 rebate... it really is time for me to emigrate :lol:

7. Mike_E

Photos OK to edit
    LOL I thought about that as I was typing but couldn't remember what you shot. Wasn't Tokina involved with Pentax or was it someone else? Odd that Tokina doesn't make lenses for anyone else but Canon and Nikon for the after market.

mike

8. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

They always used to... I've used Tokinas on Pentax and Minolta. AFAIK they (along with possibly Tamron and Sigma) stopped making Minolta-mount lenses when Minolta was taken over by Sony (I would have thought there are enough people buying A100s to justify resuming production?)... Tokina and Pentax have definitely been collaborating in one way or another, for example their new 16-50mm and 50-135mm f/2.8s look very similar indeed, except for coating differences and the Pentax having a supersonic motor. Pentax of course would rather we pay more, so Toktax/Pentina Tokina lenses don't seem to be available in Pentax mount... which sucks, but on the other hand I can save a bit of money by buying a Pentax-Tokina rebranded "Schneider" for a "Samsung" Pentax... confused yet? I know I am... :lmao:

9. julius

julius TPF Noob!

OK so just to confuse me more. I've found a Nikkor 55mm Macro AF that is in good condition for about 140AUD, so around 100US. What to do!?

10. Mike_E

Photos OK to edit
    Offer them Half and see what they say. It is supposed to be sharp (I don't own one) and a bit slow to auto focus but at f2.8...hmm, I think that I would rather have a 50mm f1.8 (I do have one of these) just for the extra speed at the same price they are asking. Unless you have room for 2 of the same focal length in your bag, that is. ;)

As far as Macro goes, it's probably a bit short.

mike