Tamron Lenses vs. Name Brand

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by MBasile, Jan 10, 2009.

1. MBasile

MBasile TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've heard mentioned a few times that the Sony 18-200mm lens is simply a rebranded version of the Tamron 18-200 that is made for the Sony Alpha line. I don't doubt this...

My question is, although the specs may be identical, is the Tamron lower quality? Do they use cheaper glass? Do they have looser quality control?

Tamron: $279
    Sony: $499

I know things are typically cheaper for a reason, but I also know that pricing a product in a higher range will give the illusion that it is therefore higher quality. This is why I come to the experts at TPF with my question :)

2. Markw

Markw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Im not farmiliar with the Sony line of lenses, but I do have experience with Tamron. Almost all of their lenses are fabulous. Worth every penny. I wouldnt hesitate with the Tamron. go to pixel-peeper.com and check out the pictures taken with the Sony like and the Tamron line. VERY helpful site.

Mark

3. MBasile

MBasile TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank you for that website! Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ has some comparison photos, but not a wide variety of lenses.

How have others compared the Tamrons to other name brand lenses such as Canon and Nikon? I didn't mean to ask about only a comparison to Sony lenses, I just want to know how they compare to their name brand counter-parts across the board.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  4. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't know about Sony, but Tamron definitely makes lenses for several other brands such as Pro Master, so it wouldn't surprise me. I haven't done much testing, but it appears to me that the differences between the Tamron labeled lenses and the re-labeled lenses are mostly cosmetic. I've been very happy with my Tamron lenses.

5. BrandonS

BrandonS TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've been very happy with my 17-50mm f/2.8 Tamron. However, the front element that holds the hood and the filter is loose.

6. CRman

CRman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have no idea about Tamaron. I do have experience with others though. I was able to try the tokina 12-24mm f/4 and the Nikkor 12-24mm f/4. I went withte tokina hands down and never looked back. Plus saved about 4 bills. It was sharper, and seemed better constructed. Third party doesnt = third rated. Will i buy Nikkor in the futuer.. of coarse, but if I can get the same performance at a lower price then you bet I will. :D