Tamron Lenses vs. Name Brand

MBasile

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewbasile.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've heard mentioned a few times that the Sony 18-200mm lens is simply a rebranded version of the Tamron 18-200 that is made for the Sony Alpha line. I don't doubt this...

My question is, although the specs may be identical, is the Tamron lower quality? Do they use cheaper glass? Do they have looser quality control?

Tamron: $279
Sony: $499

I know things are typically cheaper for a reason, but I also know that pricing a product in a higher range will give the illusion that it is therefore higher quality. This is why I come to the experts at TPF with my question :)

Im not farmiliar with the Sony line of lenses, but I do have experience with Tamron. Almost all of their lenses are fabulous. Worth every penny. I wouldnt hesitate with the Tamron. go to pixel-peeper.com and check out the pictures taken with the Sony like and the Tamron line. VERY helpful site.

Mark

Thank you for that website! Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ has some comparison photos, but not a wide variety of lenses.

How have others compared the Tamrons to other name brand lenses such as Canon and Nikon? I didn't mean to ask about only a comparison to Sony lenses, I just want to know how they compare to their name brand counter-parts across the board.

Last edited:
I've heard mentioned a few times that the Sony 18-200mm lens is simply a rebranded version of the Tamron 18-200 that is made for the Sony Alpha line.

I don't know about Sony, but Tamron definitely makes lenses for several other brands such as Pro Master, so it wouldn't surprise me. I haven't done much testing, but it appears to me that the differences between the Tamron labeled lenses and the re-labeled lenses are mostly cosmetic. I've been very happy with my Tamron lenses.

I have no idea about Tamaron. I do have experience with others though. I was able to try the tokina 12-24mm f/4 and the Nikkor 12-24mm f/4. I went withte tokina hands down and never looked back. Plus saved about 4 bills. It was sharper, and seemed better constructed. Third party doesnt = third rated. Will i buy Nikkor in the futuer.. of coarse, but if I can get the same performance at a lower price then you bet I will. :D

Most reactions

Back