tamron lenses?

kimbie05

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
are tamron lenses good lenses? (i have no idea. none. at all.) i've been posting alot these last few days, but i'm so scared buying my first camera. i know i want the n80. this is the auction i'm looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15238&item=3870206341&rd=1

what do you think? and this is very important too: will these lenses work on a nikon d70???

i'm so bad at things like this. once i have a camera, i'm good to go. but everything dealing with what lenses and what brands and blah blah... oh, i'm so overwhelmed. thanks so so so much.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Tamrons are decent lenses. Curious what their reserve is. You might be able to find a better deal then that. The lenses will work on the other Nikon.

The camera looks good to me and the 5 who are bidding on it. I'm sure Tamron lenses are fine so long as there is no fungus, internal dust or scratches on the glass. I do know that Nikon Nikkor AI and AIS lenses work with a D70. I would guess since the mounts of the Tamron lenses work with this Nikon they would work with a D70. To be on the safe side, call your camera store and ask them if Tamron lenses with Nikon mounts would work with a D70. Hope this helps...

Tamron makes some very nice lenses. Those are their consumer quality lenses. They aren't the sharpest, best lenses you can buy for sure, but I think you know that going into it. They are probably equivalent to the similarly priced Nikon counterparts. Yes, they will fit on a D70. I would recommend buying yourself a 50mm f/1.8 lens to go with that system, because it's cheap as dirt, and a lot sharper than those lenses.

sooo, what i'm getting is... the tamron lenses are OK, i guess? but you think i can do better? i've viewed a couple different sites, and some people think that tamron outperform nikon lenses, but others say "ehhh..." how can it be so totally opposite?

??

well, i was looking at this one too... how's this for lens? (i've been getting reccommendations for the 50 mm, which i'm thinking i can later on down the road? i've never used a 50 mm before):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3870598890&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

thanks

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Digital Matt said:
I would recommend buying yourself a 50mm f/1.8 lens
I second that.

the N80 is a good choice for a first camera, i think, it does just about everything I as a fairly new photographer need it to do. i have a 28-90mm quantaray lens, but will soon upgrade....

tamron seems like their slightly cheaper, but still good lenses (always though, you can do better if you're prepared to pay more)

kimbie05 said:
sooo, what i'm getting is... the tamron lenses are OK, i guess? but you think i can do better? i've viewed a couple different sites, and some people think that tamron outperform nikon lenses, but others say "ehhh..." how can it be so totally opposite?
thanks

Some Tamron lenses may be better than cheaper Nikon lenses. Most higher end Nikon lenses will be a lot better than Tamron lenses, except for their very best lenses possibly. If you want to spend more money, you can certainly buy better lenses. I would buy the best glass you can afford, and definitely get a 50mm.

www.fredmiranda.com is a good place for lens reviews.

kimbie05 said:
i've viewed a couple different sites, and some people think that tamron outperform nikon lenses

*splutter* Not my lovely Nikon company :D

Seriously though, the deal looks ok, but I'd be selling the lenses in favour of one Nikon 50mm f1.2 or 1.4 or 1.8 immediately to gain quadruple or more light. You might like the zoom thing though, it's only my opinion.

ok, the vote here seems obvious. i didnt end up bidding on that one, and i looked into the 50 mm f1.8 and yes, i am in love (and everyone else, too apparently!!). thanks so much for your help... i'm leaning towards the n80 with a pretty standard zoom lens already (24-85 mm) and then get the 50 mm additional. it'll be more options for me to use, i guess.

thank you everyone!

I think you're making the best choice in terms of quality of image, and you won't regret the decision.

People will always be biassed towards whatever kit they own and whichever format they use, but I stick by my advice and don't think that you will be disappointed!

One other benefit which may not have be mentioned is that you will find the resale value of classic items such as a standard OEM lenses far far greater than that of technology-based kit. This is because you can't surpass basic quality - Modern marketing and packaging techniques scream "10 Million Pixels, 10x digital zoom", but true photographers will always want quality results, not manufacturer's statistics. Are you buying a flashy gadget to show your mates in the pub, or a tool to do a job? Test it yourself and find out.

Whether you prefer Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Pentax etc; or prime or zoom lenses is your business, but let the results speak, not the marketing and I guarantee you'll be more happy with your pictures.

I only use four lenses with two bodies (for "normal" SLR work):

1 x Nikon F3HP & MD-4 body
1 x Nikon F55 backup body (n55 in USA?)

1 x f2.8 Nikkor 20mm AF lens
1 x f1.2 Nikkor 50mm lens
1 x f1.8 Nikkor 105mm lens
1 x f2.8 Nikkor 180mm lens

These cover all my needs, as I don't shoot wildlife, macro or sport. They are also all worth more than I paid for them!!

Rob

I've found probably 80% of the pictures I take are with a 50mm f/1.4. Another 15% are with a 28mm PC Nikkor and the rest would involve wider angle lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back