Tamron or Sigma?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by esXOmm, Jan 29, 2005.

1. esXOmm

esXOmm TPF Noob!

I'm just starting to get into photography and just got a new Nikon N80 Body, I was looking at buying either the Tamron or the Sigma two lense Zoom kit, what is recomended, is one company better than the other.

The Tamron is an Autofocus 28-80mm F/3.5-5.6 Aspherical and an Autofocus 75-300mm F/4-5.6 LD1:3:9 Macro

The Sigma is an Autofocus 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Macro (1:2) and an Autofocus 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Zoom Macro (1:2)

They are both roughly the same price.

Thanks for any suggestions, other brands would be welcome, just looking to start a small arsenal.

Thanks.

2. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    In all fairness, they are probably very very close in terms of quality. Personally though, I've had better experience with Sigma. That is purely a personal choice and I believe you'd be equally happy with either.

3. esXOmm

esXOmm TPF Noob!

Thanks

4. mrsid99

mrsid99 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

I own a Tamron and a Sigma and the Sigma I believe is a little sharper but no real complaints about either.
    I do suggest you research the lens you're interested in and readuser comments before buying because some models from each manufacturerhave their individual idiosycrancies such as poor focussing, "zoomcreep" etc.
    HTH.

5. minew_m

minew_m TPF Noob!

I too own both Sigma and Tamron lenses. I haven't had any trouble with either of them. If I had to choose one, I would definitely choose my Sigma lens. The quality of the pictures it takes is just a tad superior to my Tamron lens. I think you'd be happy with either one though.

6. Walt

Walt TPF Noob!

I personally prefer the Sigma.

7. spike000

spike000 TPF Noob!

Sigma tend to be better but if you can wait and save - get the Nikon - it has better performance across the board.

8. ajmall

ajmall TPF Noob!

i have an N/F80 all with Sigma lenses (mainly due to my budget) and i have no complaints. i have never used tamron lenses so i don't have an opinion on them. if you are not intending on buying many lenses then it may well worth be considering saving for a nikon lens.

the first lens i bought was a Sigma 28-200 which i still use to this day and have had no issues with it. i also managed to get a 28-300mm cheap brand new but the focusing is a lot slower and poor in low light. however, in daylight its great and for £99 (about $190) brand new i'm not complaining!