Tamron, Sigma or Canon?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by VeronicaLFB, Dec 31, 2007.

1. VeronicaLFB

VeronicaLFB TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've got a Canon Rebel XTi and have been looking at some lenses this evening...Just wanted to get some opinions on which lens I should get, especially if there are some users on here who have one of the lenses I'm looking at.

Tamron 70-300mm 1:2 F/4-5.6 DI LD
    vs
    Sigma 70-300mm APO DG
    vs
    Canon EF 75-300mm F/4-5.6

TIA!

2. 391615

391615 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I bought a Tamron as mentioned, and I'm glad I dropped and broke it, it was a cheap design, lightweight but cheap, and nasty. I then bought the Sigma as mentioned, and I have it today, its awesome. I took some airshow shots, and was impressed with the shots.

3. therustytracks

therustytracks TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i have the canon ef 75-300mm f/4-5.6 usm lens. It works really well for me. I use it for a lot of things. Taking surfing pictures from the beach, wildlife, and anything else that requires a little extra focal length. It's a great lens for the price. There are a lot better lenses out there but they're also at least twice as much if not more. The lens seems pretty solid to me. I could definitely see it lasting me a long time with care. I don't think it would survive a harsh drop onto pavement but then again i'm not sure there are many lenses that could.

4. VeronicaLFB

VeronicaLFB TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a Sigma macro lens, and I've been satisfied with it...I thought the Tamron would be a good deal, but maybe not? I figured any Canon lens would be the cream of the crop, so to speak.

5. Mr_Bester

Mr_Bester TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Check out photozone.de for some reviews of the lenses you are asking about....I ended up with the sigma since my wife spent the other $300 I was going to use to get the 70-200 F4L....:(

6. nicfargo

nicfargo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd stick with the Canon or the Sigma. I used to have the 75-300 until I upgraded to the 75-300 IS. I liked the IS much more. If you can afford it I'd get it, ebay is probably one of the places you'll find it. They came out with a newer 70-300mm IS, only adds 5mm and a little bit better IS but boy is it expensive ($600). For that price, cheaper actually, you can get the beautiful 70-200 f/4L lens. I now have the 70-200 f2.8L IS so I don't use my 75-300 IS, not sure why I still have it honestly...oh well.