Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD creaks when zooming

Kit Lens Jockey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My Tamron 24-70 2.8 took a little bit of a whack on the end on the barrel right where the filter attaches. The lens was zoomed in about halfway when this happened. Now the lens seems to make a little noise when zooming in and out. It's kind of like a plasticy creaking noise, but very quiet. You can feel it, but you can only hear it if you're somewhere very quiet. It's pretty subtle.

Any ideas what this might be? I got the lens used, and I'm fairly mechanically adept, so if it's likely that something got slightly bent or out of alignment, I might try to fix this myself.

Thanks.

Sounds like the plastic cracked inside. You may be able to epoxy it if that's the case, but the only way to know is to open it up and inspect it.

Began taking it apart. It's a complex beast for sure. I think I might just suck it up and send it to Tamron for service since it's probably going to require parts replacement anyway. True, I might be able to epoxy whatever is broken, and odds are it would probably hold up ok, but I hate to do a half-ass repair on a nice lens.

Looking at the Tamron site, it looks like you just fill out the service form and send it in. Is that right? You don't need to give them any heads up that you're sending it in?

Most reactions

Back