Tanya

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by photo gal, Nov 28, 2005.

1. photo gal

photo gal TPF Noob!

Planet Carolyn..Cool place....you should visit!
    I'm really unsure about this one.

[​IMG]

what do you think? Any imput is appreciated :D

2. clemeys

clemeys TPF Noob!

Photogal,
    Has a lot of potential for me...the grain is not my preference, but I can appreciate it. The hand really bugs me though. It doesn't seem at all natural. I read once that when using hands in portraiture that they should bear weight as they would in real life. I think this would help a lot here imho.

Even as I write this I keep going back to it, and the more I view it, the more the shot grows on me so, those were my first impressions.

3. bace

bace TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I looks like a painting.

4. Tally Ho

Tally Ho TPF Noob!

Well PG, the lighting you used here has a name. It is called 'ghoul' lighting and was (is?) used extensively in horror films. This lighting comes from below the subject and casts shadows above the eyes and catchlights in the lower portions of the eyes. In the movies they used a more dramatic lighting ratio however, something like 3 or 4 to one, whereas you used nearly a one to one ratio. The black background blends in with her dark hair so you cannot tell where her hair stops and the background starts. The wrist is bent nicely, but the fingers are lined up like soldiers instead of flowing like an opened fan. You were correct in not putting weight on this hand. If you bring a hand up to the face and allow the subject to actually place weight on that hand it will distend the cheek or chin and create bulges on the face. Lastly she has no receiving area. When someone is looking off to the side in an image they need 'room' to look in to. In your case there should be negative space at camera left. This rule also applies to apparant motion. If an object in an image is moving in one direction out of frame it should have room to move in to.

TH

• Like Like x 1
  5. photo gal

photo gal TPF Noob!

Planet Carolyn..Cool place....you should visit!
    Thank you guys for your imput!. It's all very helpful to me and I appreciate you taking the time! : )

6. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think the lighting... both direction and quality... is the biggest issue here.

A larger, softer light source, positioned higher, along with a bit of fill light will make quite a difference.

Good luck!

-Pete

7. northman

northman TPF Noob!

It almost looks like she is sitting in front of a campfire.

8. Taralyn Romero

Taralyn Romero TPF Noob!

Wasn't sure at first but, like CLEMEYS, I keep going back to it..... interesting shot.... I think I like it!

9. aprilraven

aprilraven TPF Noob!

tell ya the truth photogal... i really dig it... looks like she posed for a fine painting..

love the whole look to it.....just so unique and eye catching...