Tax Return $$ to Spend

MichaelHenson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, it's tax season and that means that I typically end up with some tax money to spend...I've talked myself into a few different things and then right back out again so I figured I'd post my quandry and get some feedback from the gang on TPF.

Basically, I'm thinking that (at most) I'll have a bit over $1,000 to spend but if I could get away without spending all of it, I'm totally good with that...

I'm currently rocking the D5200 and have a 70-200/2.8 and a 17-50/2.8 and a 50mm/1.8. I'm not overly tempted by lenses at the moment...Lighting-wise, I have a Flashpoint 120 w/s strobe and a couple diffused umbrellas and two speedlites with wireless triggers.

Here's what I've considered:
1. Upgrading my camera...thought about going with the 7100 for some of the upgraded features available there...however, I haven't seen too much that is SUPER tempting over my 5200 (other than the ability to have a vertical grip without a stupid wire poking out). Otherwise, I've considered snagging a 610 and maybe one lens (a prime maybe?) for some general portrait/still life style stuff...If I knew that my current lenses would provide the FF advantages, this would probably be the chosen option...but I've never figured out exactly which lenses work FF and which don't.
2. Focusing on lighting...Maybe get one more strobe, a battery pack so it's mobile, and a new modifier (thinking an octabox more than likely)...
3. Getting a processing monitor (using my MacBook Pro currently) and a calibrator and calling it a day...

I've held off on doing anything until I reached the point that I understood what differences my upgrades would bring and until I reached a point that I would be able to take advantage of whatever new gear I get...anyway....Thoughts?

Last edited:
Easy, get a D610!!!

The most asked questions here are "where is your current camera not cutting the mustard with you"

The most asked questions here are "where is your current camera not cutting the mustard with you"
Yeah, I know. I've been down the "I just want a new camera for no apparent reason" road and beat it once. :) Now, I'm kind of back on that road but it was kicked off by really wanting something with better low light performance. That's what got me started looking at the D600 but I don't really have the funds to reinvest in glass and I don't want to go around using it at 10.5MP or whatever the crop mode is...So that's why I started looking at the 7100...mainly for a couple features: the wireless vertical group (I mainly use BBF and the aftermarket grips for my camera don't allow for this), the additional controls, and the dual memory card slots...But I've effectively talked myself out of it because none of those things do all that much for image quality and I'm getting better and better images out of mine.

So, last night I ended up snagging a softbox, color calibrator, and color/white balance card off of Adorama. I think I'll call that good for now! :)

Good call. D7100 would only be a slight if any improvement in image quality over what you have.

Does the official Nikon battery grip do what you want, that might be an option.

+1 for the paying off debt.

Good call. D7100 would only be a slight if any improvement in image quality over what you have.

Does the official Nikon battery grip do what you want, that might be an option.
From what I've been able to find, Nikon doesn't make a battery grip for the 5200...The 7xxx line is where that starts...If they did make a D5200 version, I'd definitely buy it and be happy (other than the low light scenarios) for a very long time! If you know of an official Nikon version for 5200, let me know! :)

Sorry I don't. Hahnel and Meike often do very functional third party grips, give them a look

Most reactions

New Topics

Back