Teach'em Young

MommyOf4Boys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I still cannot get use to this new monitor, so I am not sure if this is too dark or too bright or too contrasty blah blah :/
And on this monitor everything looks grainy with some kind of speckle distortion..don't know what is going on there, but if ya'll could tell me if you see this stuff too - I would appreciate it :)

DSC_0197-012.jpg

Clean, well-focused, very cute photo on the monitor I am using now (which is on my kids' computer not my own, but it seems similar to mine .. mine is still a bit better though).

hehe SO CUTE!

I love the depth of field, and how it blurs out what appears to be some sort of motor? Behind the woodpile. I didn't even notice it until I REALLY looked at the details. With it in focus, it would have been awfully distracting. All you see when you look at the picture is the subject, and isn't that what it's supposed to be about? :)

yes yes, the background is suppose to have a good bokeh :)
Thanks!

I need to figure out what is wrong with this monitor, because on here his face is kind of, i dunno pixelated or something and it is showing up in most of my photos. Driving me up the wall! Has anyone else had this problem with a new wide LCD monitor?? I am about to throw this thing out the window!

I am now looking at this photo on my own monitor (wide LCD) ... one that I love, and I do see more "pixels" (dots, noise, grain -- whatever word you prefer) here than I did on the other monitor earlier on. I think I know what you mean and when I see it, then it is not just YOUR monitor that produces the effect, it is more, deeper down inside the pic, I guess.
What were your ISO settings?

Make sure your LCD is set to the reccomended resolution and refresh rate. Make sure the LCD white/blackpoints have been set properly. Too high a contrast and brightness degrades quality on LCDs.

The most important is resolution - if you deviate from the actual number of pixels on the LCD, you WILL get horrible results (not may). It's one of the downfalls of an LCD.

At my old job, we had a color tester. I set both of my monitors up using it, and had a pair of beautiful monitors.

toastydeath said:
Make sure your LCD is set to the reccomended resolution and refresh rate. Make sure the LCD white/blackpoints have been set properly. Too high a contrast and brightness degrades quality on LCDs.

The most important is resolution - if you deviate from the actual number of pixels on the LCD, you WILL get horrible results (not may). It's one of the downfalls of an LCD.

At my old job, we had a color tester. I set both of my monitors up using it, and had a pair of beautiful monitors.

My monitor recommends 1440x900 and that is what I have it set to and the refresh rate is at something like 60 like it says to have it at...How do I set the white and black points? Just through contrast and brightness??

MommyOf4Boys said:
I need to figure out what is wrong with this monitor, because on here his face is kind of, i dunno pixelated or something and it is showing up in most of my photos. Driving me up the wall! Has anyone else had this problem with a new wide LCD monitor?? I am about to throw this thing out the window!

Well... I didn't throw mine out the window, BUT it was just days before I went back to a CRT monitor. The gal at the color lab told me she did the same.

Cute shot! Did you think about cloning out the white, up-right thingy in the background? And, make sure he rakes when he's done mowin'.

Pete

MommyOf4Boys said:
My monitor recommends 1440x900 and that is what I have it set to and the refresh rate is at something like 60 like it says to have it at...How do I set the white and black points? Just through contrast and brightness??

Aye. Brightness to set your black point, and contrast to set the white/control actual brightness. A lot of people have lcd's that actually can't go as bright as they'd like it. Most lcd's, with a proper blackpoint set, can't get bright enough to do darkroom work. The solution i found was to turn off all the lights when I wanted to really look at an image, and turn the contrast back down to where the image wasn't pixellated.

Now, keep in mind that LCD quality varies intensely - some are excellent, some are absolutely horrid. If you go through all this, and it still comes out looking awful, you need to look for a new monitor or go back to a CRT. Unfortunately, I don't have any reviews for LCD models to pass along.

Most reactions

Back