Team Photos?

wwjoeld

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, havent been here for quite some time, but anyways i have my first professional job on sunday doing some team photos for the local peewee football team.

I shoot with a 10d and have one flash and i will be using a tripod of course, how do you think i should go about doing this shoot?

Any feedback would be very welcomed.

Are you doing individuals as well as teams?

Take an assistant to help with the organization.

I used to do a considerable amount of team/individual pics when I owned my studio. ORGANIZATION is the key. Keep track of each frame you shoot. Are you going to offer memory mates?? It's a good money maker.

What info are you looking for?

Sorry the above reply was short (it's 4:45am and i just woke up).....

I had a deal with the sports organizations that worked pretty good - maybe you or some others could use it. I would contact every schools newspaper/yearbook staff and offer to supply them with a team picture at no charge if they would allow me to offer the pics to the teammates. About a week before the shoot I distributed order sheets so the students could order individual packages if they desired.

When the day came, I always shot each individual player - whether they ordered or not. It was surprising how many orders I sold to families that "forgot" to return their sheet. It is all prepaid.

I used film, not digital. When I sent the film for processing, I simply made a list of what the lab was to print for each frame (using a professional lab is important) depending on the order. When the prints came back my staff simply inserted them into memory mate folders and we delivered them to the school for distribution.

It sounds like a lot of work but not only do you make money on the individual orders - you'll be surprised how many jobs you'll get for senior pics, weddings, etc...... all because you gave the school a 5 x 7 team pic.

I hope this helps...

Bob

i have very limtted equipment, an was just wondering if what i have will be sufficent for the shoot.

The shots going to be taken outside? If so, you have all the equipment you need....

If not, you still have all the equipment you need, but depending on the gn of your flash will determine the setup.

do you have a backup camera???

Shot this one with my 300d (same sensor as the 10d) last year. Just get everybody organized, try to keep ppl close in height together, tallest in the middle and work your way down. Coaches either front and center or out back at either wing.

IMG_6249_edited_RS.jpg

Memory Mates are a 1/3 of my income probably and they are fast and
an easy shoot to me. I take someone with me and I too collect all the money on the field. The person with me takes up money and logs
for each frame as I shoot. You will need to edit for blinks, etc also.

The thing I would say if you dont' know, is to be sure to shoot
individual vertical and group horizontal. You may already know this
but just in case you don't. Better safe than sorry. They fit into
memory mate folders and if someone had not told me before my
first time I would have messed that up!

Good luck and you will enjoy this type shooting I think.
I use a Nikon n90 and sunpack handheld flash that is attached
by bracket. I shoot mostly outside and when shooting outside
I dont' use a tripod. It makes it much easier , but when shooting
in a gym, of course I am forced to use a tripod.

This is probably a dumb question but what are "memory mates"?

Good thing about digital is you can see if they blink or not.

its like a matte thing, with a big spot for the team photo, and then a smaller one, for an individual shot...I believe... someone correct me if I'm wrong

I have been doing sports pictures for the last six months. Orginization is key. If you are looking for a memory matte check out Albuns Inc. If you are looking for a sports templete to use in photoshop try photo tidings.

Most reactions

Back