Tears...

I see what you are saying Max, but in the way that I am using these borders (on a digital image & online), to me they are the finishing touch and I like them. We can disagree on that:)

Wilmaven, yes I did do a little touch up on the snot because there was a lot of snot in this session. I suppose I could have left it for the crying picture, but it's gross;) If she decides to order this one, I'll spend a bit more time editing that area.

NJMan, I've just found that in general, I can find 24 good images from each of my sessions. Plus, I want to always charge the same amount and I think my clients would get upset if one session allowed for 40 images and then another only 15.
That being said, if I feel like there are some good ones, I'll include more just to be nice. But, generally I'll just try and be more harsh about what I'm including so that it really is the best 24 of each session.

P.S. Marian, the fact that you said this photo just makes you uncomfortable actually kind of makes me happy because at least it's eliciting some sort of feeling! And, as a former nanny and a babysitter I think it's kind of cool to show kids not always being idyllic.

Would I give a client a proof of their baby crying? Probably not. I personally don’t think it’s the style I’m going for but I think that answer depends on the client. More and more clients are attracted to a journalistic or storytelling approach to photographs. But will a picture of a baby crying sell when it’s the parent buying? You’ve got to try and determine what the client will like and buy. Keep in mind the parent isn’t a photographer and may not even see the artistic value of your photograph. It's not really about what you or I as a photographer think about the photo. You also want to keep this client coming back for more. Is giving them a proof of their baby crying going to turn them off or intrigue them? Do you want the reputation of being the photographer in town who tries to sell crying baby pictures?

I always add crying photos of the children I photograph, if there are any nice ones. I am a mom too and I would love to have that in a collection, or a fussy series storyboard- which I have seen in a lot of local web galleries.

As said above, kids are unpredictable and it's who they are. I strive to show individual personality, whether is all smiles or not. It gives variety and their individuality shines through, tears or not. If the client doesn't order it, oh well. You captured an emotion and that's part of the process.

For C&C, I like the image and would use it personally, I just don't like the eyes that close to the center. It would benefit to either rid the sweater or try and darken it some. I love the DOF and the catchlights though.
Good luck. Just my own 2 cents!

I just had my kids portraits done at a studio and they gave me at least 100 proofs and they did give me a crying picture as well as a bottom lip sticking out picture...I absolutely love them because it tells the story of what a booger my daughter was being that day. The lip sticking out one is worthy of a wall and the crying one will remain in the portfolio for funny references. I would be extremely disappointed if I wasn't shown exteme expressions of my kids...I'm working on a collection for my daughters room with photos of all her expressions as like someone already mentioned here change daily and capturing those are just as important to me as capturing a cheesy grin. (I do not like posed smiles)
I'm not a pro-really just a customer right now with a love for this hobby...

Not seeing the Diane Arbus part of your discussion. Arbus had a strong understanding of the subject. As opposed to a kid crying.

Love & Bass

Well, I am certainly not trying to say that my photograph has an underlying meaning and was meant to show all that Arbus showed in her photographs, but I personally thought of two of her crying baby pictures (A child crying, NJ 1967 & Mother Holding her child NJ 1967) when I saw this one when sorting through the images.
By no means am I trying to say that my work in general is similar to hers. Obviously it's not. She wasn't concerned with creating images to please her subjects and I am. I just meant that this one picture of a crying baby reminded me of her crying baby pictures because I thought it funny how she was able to show a completely unhappy side of motherhood that is usually made out to be completely blissful. And my job is to keep perpetrating the myth that there are only happy moments and bundles of joy when dealing with babies.
So I guess when I was comparing the photographs, I was comparing them on a surface level. I didn't mean that I was out to show the despair of being a mother and how ugly and freakish young children are which is what I see when I look at her photographs.

BTW, I do a ton of babysitting on the side, and I have been seeing pictures of their kids crying being framed so that's really why I was starting to think about including some shots like that. However, I don't think it will become a regular thing for me as I wouldn't consider putting something like this in my portfolio or on my website unless it was a part of a series showing different expressions.

I have shots of my kids crying that I think are hilarious. As a parent you learn to parse their various cries - most of which are not about fear or pain, but rather about anger over not getting what they want... such as lighters, scissors, large kitchen sheers, my Leica...

In this case the kid looks tired, and probably wants to go home. The tears are big, that's usually a good metric.

The border is a creative choice; there's no "right" way.

I like this photo and I agree on giving a photo like this to a client. However, I do believe that it depends on the circumstances of the event. If it was an unpleasant situation that would bring up sad or bad memories, then 'no'.

Im not a parent but a bigger sister to a 4 & 6 yr old and foster sister to many others. If this shot was included, im sure it would get a laugh.
children have many emotions and switch from one to the other quickly.
i would feel the parents out, but i would not discard it, nor display it to every parent.

i on the other hand think its a very nice photograph and would order it. I like the range of emotion.

[with a grain of salt]

I love every emotion my children exhibit. As a Mom I would jump on it. I get a bit frustrated with parents that only want the smiley pics. But thats how most want.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back