Technical question...

Alexandra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have this picture, below. I was wondering if there's a way I can make the bench and the pier appear in B&W and keep the rest in colors. the software I've got is: PhotoShow express, ACDSee and Adobe Photoshop, so if anyone knows how to do that with one of these programs, please, let me know!!!
btw, it's OTE!

IMGP00122.jpg

First off nice picture :)

Secondly it should be a pretty simple case of selecting the area you want to change to black and white using the lassoo tool in photoshop, and then hitting Ctrl-U and lowering the saturation until the area is b&w as required.

Ooooh 1 point i almost forgot, when you select using the lassoo tool you might want to set a feathering value which essentially creates a slight blur around the selected area giving a smoother transition between the coloured and b&w areas. A value of 2 pixels ought to do it.

It's actually very easy if you have photoshop. Open the photo, choose layer - duplicate layer. Now on the duplicate layer Image - Adjustments - Desaturate.
Now on the toolbar on the left pick the brush and on the top go to the pull down bar brush style and pick clear. Now just start using the brush on the black and white where you want it to be color!

Make sure to do this yourself and not use mine so you can practice =p

IMGP00122copy.jpg

thanks, ghoste! I tried scurra's thing and it looked pretty like what you did, but of course it lacks precision (and I lack practice :) ). I tried to do it your way, and i'm really happy with the results. I have a few pics in mind which i could apply your technique on...
Thanks again!

With PS :
select the area by using select tools , and then press Image>Adjustment>Desaturate

Alexandra said:
Actually, all my pics are implicitly OTE :)
Well, that's ok then as you obviously didn't mind the edit. But unless OTE is mentioned in your post or sig, other readers will just see an edit posted without permission - which sets an example. ;)

K, well here are the results, I tried everything you guys suggested but I must say it's only the 2nd time I use Photoshop, so I lack practice a bit... so be nice, please! ;)
As you all told me to, i desaturated the pier area, but then i thought it would be nice to take it a little bit further, so i saturated the trees in the back. I thought i'd better leave the lake intact to make a nice transition.
Anyway, here it is, tell me what you think of it! (it's still OTE!)

viewremade.jpg

oh, and I almost forgot: Thanks a lot to all of you!!:thumbup:

I would instead use the channel mixer because you'll get more control of your b&w tones. Check "monochrome" and adjust the 3 channels so they total 100%. The entire image will be b&w. Select the layer mask, and paint black over the parts of the image you want in color. You can easily edit the mask at any time to refine your selection.

Thanks Matt! :D
I'm really a newbie at computer editing, so i'll have to click around a lot befor it gives something, but i'll try it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back