technique for this photo?

mrssmith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
how would i get my photos to look like this in terms of shooting and then photoshopping?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...96358542_100000630360883_233374_5010130_n.jpg

i like the sharpness of the subject vs the background but for some reason when i try, my subject's face is sharp while the rest of their body may be slightly blurred. also, i enjoy the colors and wonder how i would get this in look in post processing. thanks!

It's a combination of lens and working aperture which provide the necessary DoF. Google "Depth of field calculator" and input differing lenses, apertures and subject to camera distances and watch how the DoF changes.

how would i get my photos to look like this in terms of shooting and then photoshopping?
Learn how to do photography and image editing. :thumbup:

That shot you posted has little in the way of photoshop, save the border.

To follow up what tirediron mentioned regasding DOF:

Understanding Depth of Field in Photography

and a couple of DOF calculators:

http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/calc.htm

Online Depth of Field Calculator

Yeah, that's kinda the point! ;-) That's why I am seeking advice, nothing I've found, even in my manuals or books, really explains very well. I just wanted to know how you would go about getting a sharp image like that. I understand DOF, I know the lower the f/stop the more blurred the background will be, but what I have trouble with is getting, for example, a person's whole body in focus rather than just their eyes/face/upper body. I was hoping someone could share specific techniques or some really good advice, rules, etc. Thank you for your info!

Also, I like the style of that photo, does anyone know what was done in processing to make it look that way? You said there was little Photoshop, but I would like to know what was done. Thanks! :)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...96358542_100000630360883_233374_5010130_n.jpg

i like the sharpness of the subject vs the background but for some reason when i try, my subject's face is sharp while the rest of their body may be slightly blurred. also, i enjoy the colors and wonder how i would get this in look in post processing. thanks!

Nothing out of the ordinary at all.

so then do share with the "how" part :) I came for advice, not for "I know how to do that, but it's so easy that I'm not telling!" Thanks! :thumbup:

KmH was correct in giving you information regarding depth of field. That sounds to be what you're really looking for. If you're having trouble getting people in focus in the frame, I suggest stopping your aperture down to f/8 or f/11. You'll see that your images are much more sharp and defined, but they will lack the bokeh that you'd see when using a larger aperture. You'll also have to keep in mind that your depth of field changes as the distance from your subject changes (assuming you keep your aperture constant.)

Okay, most of the answers on the 'How' are already in this thread. The focus really is nothing more than knowing how much DoF you want in your image and what lens/aperture will provide that. That comes from either (1) experience and knowledge or (2) Using a depth-of-field calculator. With respect to the post-processing, what particular aspects of it are you referring to?

1 flash unit, umbrella about 7 feet away from subject. 135mm to 180mm focal length lens, 1/250 second at f/11. Bingo. There's the subject. Bring the RAW image into Photoshop or Lightroom or Aperture, and desaturate the colors. Then apply a cheesy black frame around the image, to make it reminiscent of a mounted 35mm slide with rounded corners. Done.

It seems like you're looking for specific settings, and the problem is, no one can tell you what that is because it's going to be different depending on the scene. My suggestion is to experiment. Set up something that you want to shoot, put your camera on Aperture Priority and try out different apertures. Start with low f/numbers and work your way to bigger ones. You'll likely see, in one of those images, the exact DoF you're looking for. There's no trickery or anything special going on in that shot you posted. Just a knowledge of aperture and DoF.

Take an ambient light reading using a shutter speed of say 1/125, if you get a reading of F8 you set your flash to give you the same settings, now if you want a slightly darker background like your link all you have to do is set your camera to F8 (that controls your flash exposure) set your shutter speed to 1/200/1/250 (1 stop different, S/S controls you ambient exposure a faster shutter speed lets less in) if you want your background lighter set your shutter speed to 1/60 1 stop the other way,

Take an ambient light reading using a shutter speed of say 1/125, if you get a reading of F8 you set your flash to give you the same settings, now if you want a slightly darker background like your link all you have to do is set your camera to F8 (that controls your flash exposure) set your shutter speed to 1/200/1/250 (1 stop different, S/S controls you ambient exposure a faster shutter speed lets less in) if you want your background lighter set your shutter speed to 1/60 1 stop the other way,

Gary--You say it's f/8 at 1/200 to 1/250 with flash...I say it's f/11 at 1/250 with flash...neither of us specified an ISO setting, but I'm sure we both meant ISO 200...

But our suggested exposures are different. I propose we settle this the manly way,and each drink pint after pint of beer from now until 3 AM...the last one still awake at 3:00 AM GMT shall be declared the final arbiter, and shall post the final recommended exposure for the OP at 6:59 AM GMT.

May the best liver win!

so then do share with the "how" part :) I came for advice, not for "I know how to do that, but it's so easy that I'm not telling!" Thanks! :thumbup:

No, I meant that there's nothing to tell. It seems to be rather straightforward. Flash was probably used.

There is really nothing remarkable about this at all. I don't understand your fascination with this rather mundane photograph.

Jesus Christ. All this over that lousy photo? I guess it's better than the "how do I do the Dave Hill effect?" threads...

Jesus Christ. All this over that lousy photo? I guess it's better than the "how do I do the Dave Hill effect?" threads...

Exactly my sentiment. Read my post.

Most reactions

Back