Teleconverter brands.

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all. I know I have had alot of threads like this lately, but you all have helped me out alot and I appreciate it. I have decided to get the Sigma 70-200 2.8 lens for my D90. If possible, I would like to get a TC for it (and all my other lenses). I know with sigma lenses, it would be best to get a sigma teleconverter, but I was wondering about some of the other brands I am hearing about. Kenko makes a 1.4x, 2x, and 3x TC for instance. I was thinking about the Kenko_2x_TC. Has anyone used these? Should I get one of these new or look for a Sigma 2x used? Is the image quality degredatopn difference between a 1.4x and 2x terribly noticeable? If so, I will just sacrifice and get a 1.4x. I wont be using it all the times, but I figure it could help out sometimes.

Thanks!
Mark

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Go for the 1.4TC. The image quality drop and light loss (one stop) are small and many times its not even noticable when your in good lighting. On a 70-200mm type lens the 2*TC gives a far more noticable image quality drop - it works but the results are often lesser than I would like, even when shooting at around f8 to preserve sharpness

Eg: little birds photos test - a set on Flickr

Well thanks! I will go with a 1.4. If I find a 2x cheap, I may pick it up in the future. 280mm at (somewhere between 2.8 and 4) isnt too bad at all. I was looking through your flickr, could you tell me what This was taken with? I cant think of any macro lenses that go up to 210mm..lens with macro filter(s) I presume? You have alot of amazing shots.

Mark

A Sigma 150mm+1.4TC does ;)
I do like the use of the 1.4TC on the macro lenses as well since it gives a little boost to magnification whilst not affecting the minimum focusing distance. I also used a Raynox DCR250 with that setup to get extra close and that shot is a crop from the original here:
IMG_0203 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Also, how did you manage to use the Raynox 250? I thought that only went up to 67mm filter size? Isnt the sigma 150 macro a 72mm filter size?

Mark

hmm I know Kenko make a range of teleconverters, but I have never looked into them. But I think the best of their range are the Kenko PRO range. I think but don't hold me to that

edit - yes but if you use a stepping up ring you can attach the Raynox - and on a crop sensor camera you can't see any vignetting (least I never do).

Most reactions

Back