Teleconverter---> Extension tube??

shorty6049

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
does anyone know what would happen if i took all the glass out of my 2x teleconverter? would it work like an extension tube, or would the small diameter of the hole cause vignetting or something?

Hey everyone, thanks for all your help, but i figured it out myself. The answer is yes you can, and yes I just did.

HUGEmarker.jpg

Brave!! Unless the tele was garbage all ready.

I had a feeling it would work though, as long as the glass on the camera end of the lense is smaller, or close in size to the opening in the tele.

yeah i was thinking it should work too since thats pretty much all an extension tube is. Plus, the inside of it is all matte black and slightly ridged so it works as baffling so theres not too much light bouncing around , the teleconverter only cost me 40 dollars at a camera swap meet, so i didnt feel too bad about taking it apart. It still worked fine and everything, but i never really used it because it didnt seem to give me very good results on anything but my 50mm lens anyway. All the pieces are stacked in order and taped together in a case now so if i ever decide to put it back together i can, but honestly i dont really see that happening anyway... i'll post a couple other examples in a bit if anyone wanted to see them

Thats some SHALLOW dept of field for a F/9 shot... lol

Looks good!

You might want to also look into a reverse adapter. I had an old Canon 50mm f/2.0 that came along with my AE-1 Program that I use the reverse adapter with. Besides, I think it's kind of amusing to find a Canon lens in my Nikon bag!

Yeah, i've used a reverse adapter but i don't like how everything is manual focus and i would have to buy an old lens with a manual aperture ring on it.
with this , i can still autofocus and set aperture in-camera and i get about the same results with this as reverse macro anyway.
and to JerryPH- it SAYS f9, but was actually the DOF of f4.5 because with the teleconverter on, the lowest aperture i can set it at with a 1.7 lens was 3.5
heres a shot of a AA battery with the 18-70, probably set at around 30mm

batt.jpg

Most reactions

Back