Teleconverters - looking for opinions

dxqcanada

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking into a 1.4x Teleconverter for my Sigma AF 300mm F/4.0 APO lens (Minolta/Sony).

I have googled around for reviews and comparisons between all the different manufacturers, and I have not figured it out.

Tamron, Sigma, Kenko, Sony/Minolta ... which one ?

For those of you that have a 1.4x Teleconverter ...

What model do you have and what do you think of the image quality?

... so far I am leaning towards the Kenko Pro 300 DG.

Well I have sigma and Canon teleconverters and this review here pretty much sums up my experiences as well:
Juza Nature Photography
barring the fullframe edge darkening (I am on crop sensor), which I seriously don't think is a big problem looking at the example shots there. So Sigma brand ones are at least as good optically speaking as Canon make - that might help and that might not ;) but they are good at any rate!

I took a trip recently and the guy I went with picked up the Tamron 1.4X Tele-converter.

I would not hesitate to use that as an in-expensive alternative to purchasing a dedicated 400+mm telephoto.

Thanks for the feedback. Great comparision review.

Anyone using the Kenko ?

I have the Canon 1.4x TC and really like it. I don't know if it will work on the Sigma though, as the front element projects out on the canon. I have heard that the kenko is just as good as the canon.

I have shot the Kenko 300 DG and thought it was pretty much on par with the Canon TC 1.4 X II. The Kenko will fit almost any lens where the Canon is made for their top of the line glass.

There is a reason that Canon does this. One is the best compatability for the lenses it fits. The second is because a TC not only adds magnification to your lens, but it magnifies all of the faults of the lens it is attached to. If the lens it a bit soft with the TC it will be softer, etc. Before you buy a TC I would strongly recomend that you go to a good camera shop with your gear and try it out. See if the quality of the final images will satisfy you before you plunk down your money.

I have a Nikkor 1.7 TC. I felt the 1.4 didn't offer enough reach and the 2.0 whored too much light. I'm happy with my decision. I've got some comparison shots if you're interested.

Thanks for the info on the Kenko.

Wouldn't do me any good to see your comparison shots ... unless Nikon decides to change their mount :lol:

1.7 is 1.7 regardless of manufacturor. It's another 1/2 stop of light.

My experience with teleconverters is that the quality you end up with is about the same as if you had not used the converter and just cropped in photoshop.

This makes them rather pointless, they made sense when shooting grainy film, but in near-grainless digital world, I'm not convinced.

That said, I still use my converters sometimes when shooting in the zoo, as it helps me frame the shot I want in the viewfinder.

I find that the Canon 1.4 mkII has very little image degredation. I use it a lot on my 70-200 2.8 IS and 600 f/4 IS. I got the Canon because its weather sealed, but the Kenko would be my second choice.

I would rather use a 1.4 than a heavy cropping. A lot of times, I find myself using the 1.4 and some cropping as it is.

What will you be shooting? Birds?

I have both the 1.4x and 2x Kenko Pro 300 DG for Nikon and have been extremely happy with the quality of the optics and they work flawlessly with my Nikon, Tokina and Sigma lens. I use the 2x with my Tokina ATX Pro 300mm all the time and the autofocus work great.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back