Teleconverters

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by three_eyed_otter, Jul 23, 2007.

1. three_eyed_otter

three_eyed_otter TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nikon TC-20E II 2x Teleconverter for D-AF-I & AF-S Lenses ONLY[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Will this take my 55-200mm to a new level w/respectable clarity?[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]have a good one[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3Eo[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

2. lostprophet

lostprophet No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    from memory it will not even fit on that lens, it only fits lenses like the 70-200 2.8, 300 2.8 400 2.8 etc etc

3. three_eyed_otter

Photos OK to edit
    Your memory has served you well. I checked over @ nikon usa and the darn thing doesn't even autofocus on some of the lenses it "supports".

have a good one
    3Eo

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And no not a new level. Just a bit closer to the middle. Teleconverters aren't bad for what they do. My personal tests show a matched teleconverter works better than blowing up a photo digitally, but the biggest problem would be to make an already slow lens even slower by letting less light in.

5. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

It will take it to new levels of lowered contrast and increased distortion.

6. three_eyed_otter

Photos OK to edit
    Hey that's the wrong direction!:confused: I was hopin' for something more towards heavenly, especially since the guy at the local shop was trying to push one off on me.

have a good one
    3Eo

7. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's not quite that bad. But it is a far cry from actually having a lens with double the focal length.

8. three_eyed_otter

Photos OK to edit
    Well, I figure I have so much to learn and enjoy about photography that I'll just take my time and settle for quality. With fall soccer around the corner I was really hopin' to have a mean telephoto and I thought that maybe w/the converter I could break myself in on a little sports photography. I'll just use my 55-200 and take my lumps:mrgreen:

have a good one
    3Eo

9. chemhaznet1

chemhaznet1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    man this really makes me think twice about getting a teleconverter. i was going to get one for macro type shots for a 1.4 i'm gonna get but i guess i need to hold off, i supposed with this lens it wouldn't matter since i'll be using in on a d40 and it won't have any autofocus to begin with. i plan on buying the nikon AF 50mm 1.4 lens. do you think it'll work with a teleconverter or is it even worth it?

10. lostprophet

lostprophet No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  11. chemhaznet1

chemhaznet1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good lord these are amazing. i can't wait till i have more money to get sweet equipment. I need to go outside and practice....

12. three_eyed_otter

Photos OK to edit
    Can you please elaborate on your setup? Were the airshow photos taken w/a teleconverter?

have a good one
    3Eo