Teleconverters

three_eyed_otter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nikon TC-20E II 2x Teleconverter for D-AF-I & AF-S Lenses ONLY[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Will this take my 55-200mm to a new level w/respectable clarity?[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]have a good one[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3Eo[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

from memory it will not even fit on that lens, it only fits lenses like the 70-200 2.8, 300 2.8 400 2.8 etc etc

from memory it will not even fit on that lens, it only fits lenses like the 70-200 2.8, 300 2.8 400 2.8 etc etc

Your memory has served you well. I checked over @ nikon usa and the darn thing doesn't even autofocus on some of the lenses it "supports".

have a good one
3Eo

And no not a new level. Just a bit closer to the middle. Teleconverters aren't bad for what they do. My personal tests show a matched teleconverter works better than blowing up a photo digitally, but the biggest problem would be to make an already slow lens even slower by letting less light in.

It will take it to new levels of lowered contrast and increased distortion.

Hey that's the wrong direction!:confused: I was hopin' for something more towards heavenly, especially since the guy at the local shop was trying to push one off on me.

have a good one
3Eo

It's not quite that bad. But it is a far cry from actually having a lens with double the focal length.

It's not quite that bad. But it is a far cry from actually having a lens with double the focal length.

Well, I figure I have so much to learn and enjoy about photography that I'll just take my time and settle for quality. With fall soccer around the corner I was really hopin' to have a mean telephoto and I thought that maybe w/the converter I could break myself in on a little sports photography. I'll just use my 55-200 and take my lumps:mrgreen:

have a good one
3Eo

man this really makes me think twice about getting a teleconverter. i was going to get one for macro type shots for a 1.4 i'm gonna get but i guess i need to hold off, i supposed with this lens it wouldn't matter since i'll be using in on a d40 and it won't have any autofocus to begin with. i plan on buying the nikon AF 50mm 1.4 lens. do you think it'll work with a teleconverter or is it even worth it?

Good lord these are amazing. i can't wait till i have more money to get sweet equipment. I need to go outside and practice....

It's just that I have used one for years now and the results I get are amazing!!

Can you please elaborate on your setup? Were the airshow photos taken w/a teleconverter?

have a good one
3Eo

wow...Thank you for taking the time to set the record straight regarding teleconverters. I was always wondering about them also.

I believe I will get one instead of another lens as I'm sure a teleconverter will be more convenient for travel and hiking.

i agree with LP, teleconvertors do work.

that said, i dont know if its just mine... but it doesnt do anything at all, when connected to my VR lens??? dunno why

but on my friends older 70-300mm its amazing the difference it makes.
it does work on my 18-70, but really i recommend using them on lenses above 100mm

LP don't you also mount some really fine glass on the other side of it? It's true teleconverts can give you amazing results. But if you mount a 2x teleconverter with the EF 100-300 at 300 on your camera I would have expect the camera to short circuit itself so it's not forced to take such horrid pictures :)

I have one here, and I use it occasionally, but you do only get out what you put in. ... eeer in fact half of what you put in. :)

Most reactions

Back