Teleconvertor

rayb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Has anyone fitted a Tamron teleconvertor (1.4x or 2x) to a Nikon D50 using a standard AF lens? Is autofocus lost when you fit the teleconvertor? Was hoping to use the TC with a 90mm Tamron macro lens to get something approaching the results you can get from the Tamron 180mm macro lens (can't afford the latter!). Any views?

Welcome to the forum.

I have a 2X Tamron TC with Canon mounts. The teleconverter does not itself disable the autofocus...but a TC will steal light. About 1.5 stops for a 1.4 and about 2 stops for a 2x.

Most autofocus cameras need a minimum of F5.6 for autofocus to function. So if you put on a lens that is slower than around F2.8...the autofocus will probably not work.

I don't know much about macro lenses....but I do know that it's hard or impossible to focus very close with a TC behind the lens...so you might not get the desired result by using a TC with a Macro lens. Again, I'm not too sure about that.

Many thanks for your comments, Mike; they're much appreciated. Looks like a 1.4x would be the thing to go for if I'm not to lose too much light input to the lens. Would tend always to use the macro lens on 'manual' anyway, so AF not important in that mode. I note your warning regarding possible extra difficulty in achieving clean focus. Thanks again. -- Ray :wink:

Most reactions

Back